[comp.sys.apple] SmartPort documentation

Ralph.Hyre@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (06/14/88)

In article <8060@brl-smoke.ARPA> you write:
>In article <1891@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>>Apple is ignoring or forgetting its origins.
>
>I have to disagree with your point about IIGS documentation.
>This is the first time in YEARS that Apple has made such an effort
>to publish complete technical information about a product.
>I think they should be encouraged for it, not dumped upon.
OK, I cheerfully admit that the GS doc is the best I've seen from Apple
in a long time.  I was just frustrated that the stuff I was interested in
wasn't there.

I think that all I need is something on the level of the DOS 3.3 manual in
terms of interface schematics and theory of operation.  Come to think of it, I
got most of my useful Apple Disk ][ interface info from an issue of Call Apple
(the one with 'the $450 Apple' on front (It was an Apple I).)

>I haven't looked up the SmartPort protocols, but documentation
>for Apple's SCSI interface is available.  Why would you want to
>put the protocol converter between your SCSI interface and the
>processor?

As I understand it, the Apple //c has a smarport interface, but that's it.
People wanting hard disks are unable to take advantage of cheap Mac
hard disks, and are dependent on suppliers who outfit their drives with
some manner of Apple Floppy interface electonics.

My //e is out of slots, partly because I already have two disk interface
boards in it.  One for the UniDisk 3.5, another for the Disk ][.  I'd
happily trade the Disk ][ to someone in exhange for info on hooking up
my Disk ][ to the Smartport chain on the //e 'LIRON' card.

The //GS comes with a smartport interface, but no native SCSI interface.

I agree that SCSI is the way to go for the future, but there's a large
installed base of product out there that are stuck with Apple's ongoing
'interim' solution.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

[Sorry this is late--my site is having trouble connecting to BRL.ARPA]

>Date:         Thu, 9 Jun 88 18:06:59 GMT
>From:         Ralph Hyre <ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu!ralphw@pt.cs.cmu.edu>

>With each new generation, starting with the //e (arguably with the
>demise of the red book, informative hardware and low-level software
>documentation has been harder and harder to find.
>
>Where is the smartport/protocol converter hardware and software interface
>documented well enough for me to try adding a SCSI interface to it?  I've
>looked at the Addison Wesley GS hardware documentation, it's not there.
>
>Apple is ignoring or forgetting its origins.

I don't think this is a fair accusation.  There is actually lots MORE
documentation available, but there is also a lot more stuff that we
NEED to know.  I'm generally happy with the availability of technical
info.

Note that Apple's SCSI card USES the SmartPort software interface.

SmartPort documentation can be found in the following:
1. Apple IIgs Firmware Reference Manual, APDA Draft of 12/23/86.
     Chapter 7 describes the software interface AND goes into a
     fair amount of detail about how SmartPort commands are sent
     out using the Phase control lines on the disk connector.
2. SmartPort Techinical Note #1: SmartPort Introduction
3. SmartPort Techinical Note #2: SmartPort Calls
4. SmartPort Techinical Note #3: SmartPort Bus Archetecture
     This is similar to the Firmware Manual chapter; it looks like
     it gives you the info you need.
5. SmartPort Techinical Note #4: SmartPort Device Types
6. SmartPort Techinical Note #5: SCSI SmartPort Ctrl Call Changes
7. Unidisk Technical Note #1: Unidisk 3.5 Internals
8. Unidisk Technical Note #2: Unidisk 3.5 ID Bytes
9. Unidisk Technical Note #4: SmartPort calls
10.Unidisk Technical Note #5: Architectural Differences
   Between 3.5" Drives

The technotes are available through APDA as well as on services
like CompuServe and GEnie.

>                    - Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
>
>Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
>Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA