[comp.sys.apple] Apple IIe mouse needed

moe@aati.UUCP (Moe Bradley) (06/10/88)

I recently purchased GEOS for my IIe and, although a mouse is
not a necessity for the program, I would like a mouse for my
system.  I haven't been able to find one in my area computer
stores, and ordering will take several weeks, so they tell me.
So, if I have to order one, I'd like to get one that is reliable
and won't break down the first week that I use it!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The only thing I've been
able to find out so far is that the Apple IIe mouse seems to be
the only one that comes with a card--all the others come without
a card, leaving me at a loss as to what they plug into!

I am not particular as to whether it is new, used, Apple, or brand-X,
so long as I can make it go!  GEOS is worth adding a mouse for.

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (06/12/88)

For a //e, you must add a card. Just the mouse can only be used as a paper
weight. The Apple //e mouse is often offered by mail-order houses. Check
_A+_ or _Computer _Shopper. A credit card order will get it to you quickly
the official name is AppleMouse //. The card is necessary for, and will
permit, mouse operation on Apple II, II+, and //e. The AppleMouse II card
can go into any expansion slot (I/ve never tried 3, but perhaps it would
work). Apple recommends slot 4, but that doesn't seem necessary. The
MousePaint drawing program (something like MacPaint) comes with the
AppleMouse //.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

Geva_Apple-Maniac_Patz@cup.portal.com (06/15/88)

> I recently purchased GEOS for my IIe and, although a mouse is
> not a necessity for the program, I would like a mouse for my
> system.  I haven't been able to find one in my area computer
> stores, and ordering will take several weeks, so they tell me.
> So, if I have to order one, I'd like to get one that is reliable
> and won't break down the first week that I use it!

I've been using an Apple Mouse very extensively  for years  now,  and  the
only  time  I've  had to do anything like service it is when  I have to
clean the thing every now and again.

>  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The only thing I've been
> able to find out so far is that the Apple IIe mouse seems to be
> the only one that comes with a card--all the others come without
> a card, leaving me at a loss as to what they plug into!

Yes, well, you'll probably find that some of them plug straight into your
paddle port, and others may be serial mice (although that's far more common
in  the  I*M world)

> I am not particular as to whether it is new, used, Apple, or brand-X,
> so long as I can make it go!  GEOS is worth adding a mouse for.

Well, in that case, go for Apple. I mean it. These other mice are mostly
non-standard, and as a result will probably find that GEOS and othe
Mouse-driven  programs won't work with them. As for buying second-hand,
your're not getting mine, I love it ;-)

%%%%
 Geva
  %%%%

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (06/17/88)

In article <8806120259.AA00862@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU> halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
>For a //e, you must add a card. Just the mouse can only be used as a paper
>weight.

It can also be used to amuse the cat. . . :-)

>					 The card is necessary for, and will
>permit, mouse operation on Apple II, II+, and //e.

It also give the VBL interrupt as talked about in another post.

>						    The AppleMouse II card
>can go into any expansion slot (I/ve never tried 3, but perhaps it would
>work). Apple recommends slot 4, but that doesn't seem necessary. The
>MousePaint drawing program (something like MacPaint) comes with the
>AppleMouse //.

Apple damn well better recomend slot 4.  Mousepaint, when I got it, didn't
recognize my mouse in slot 5!  I hope they fixed it, since the //e now has
the mouse in slot 7!  But that's just inexcusable!

>  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (06/20/88)

For a IIe (or //e), connecting a mouse to your paddle port will give you a
joystick, not a mouse (and probably won't work at all). Assuming that you
don't already have one, you must buy an AppleMouse II, made by Apple, Inc.
This provides a AppleMouse II card (without which a IIe or //e [or II or II+]
can't have a mouse), plus a mechanical mouse, installation manual that gives
some of the 6502 assembly-language firmware routines that are on the AppleMouse
II card and instructions for using a program MousePaint [something like
MacPaint] that comes with the mouse and card. I don't know of any alternative
suppliers for the card. Look in standard publications for discount prices.

The manual encourages placement of the card in slot 4, but states that any
expansion slot can be used (this may exclude slot 3 on IIe or //e).

I have never had any service problems with my mouse system. However, for the
"external mouse", I prefer a Kensington Turbo Mouse (a track ball made for
Apple II mouse replacement) over the standard mouse. Note that the internal
AppleMouse II card is *STILL* required.