[comp.sys.apple] scrolling on unenhanced //e

Duane Wessels writes:
>Thats what I thought!  Unfortunately, its not up to the termial
>program. I tried several and they all had that problem.  The problem
>was definately in the ROMS that I had.  [...]

Well, all "several" of those terminal programs are the kind Jim
would call "indecent."  There no reason a terminal program can't do
the scrolling itself, instead of letting the ROM do it badly [in the
case of the unenhanced //e].  Many terminal programs do handle
scrolling themselves, including Jim's favorite one (which I'm sure
he will tell the net about in due time).

>   --- D. Wessels   (22149853@WSUVM1)

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

>Jim Elliot (steinmetz!glacier!elliott@itsgw.rpi.edu) writes:
>>That seems a very strange reason to get enhanced... No decent terminal
>>program would lose characters while scrolling!
>
>Duane Wessels writes:
>>Thats what I thought!  Unfortunately, its not up to the termial
>>program. I tried several and they all had that problem.  The problem
>>was definately in the ROMS that I had.  [...]
>
>Well, all "several" of those terminal programs are the kind Jim
>would call "indecent."  There no reason a terminal program can't do
>the scrolling itself, instead of letting the ROM do it badly [in the
>case of the unenhanced //e].  Many terminal programs do handle
>scrolling themselves, including Jim's favorite one (which I'm sure
>he will tell the net about in due time).

One of the terminal programs that does have some difficulty with the
//e's unenhanced ROM is Kermit-65.  Because Kermit is designed to work
with ANY Apple 2 using ANY 80-column card, it lets the ROMs do the
screen scrolling (thereby not having to provide separate drivers for
every 80-column card).  My experience is that SET FLOW XON solves the
problem when talking to a host that supports XON/XOFF (Kermit will send
XOFF before scrolling the screen followed by XON when it's done), but
there ARE problems communicating with BBS's which do not support XON/XOFF
flow control (some BBS's, in fact, do bizarre things on receipt of unexpected
XON's).

I learned about that particular original //e ROM bug reading Don Elton's
comments on this list.  Since TIC supports only Super Serial Card (or close
clone) or IIgs internal port, I assume the ROM doesn't do the scrolling
and TIC doesn't lose characters on the unenhanced //e, but I've not
tested that.

Disclaimer: The "look and feel" of this message is exclusively MINE!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut