[comp.sys.apple] command shells

>Date:         Mon, 13 Jun 88 20:29:44 EDT
>From:         CS656%OUACCVMB.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bob Church)

>The more I learn about ProDOS the more I am impressed. This is not to
>confuse ProDOS with BASIC.SYSTEM. They are two different things.
>Programs like DAVEX are incredibly nice but could not be done without
>ProDOS (am I right Dave?).

Combined command shells/program launchers (like Davex) could *sort
of* be written for DOS 3.3, but it just wouldn't be the same!  Under
ProDOS there is an established "quit" convention that allows the
launching program to regain control from any program that quits the
right way.   There is no such thing under DOS 3.3.  The machine
language inteface to DOS 3.3 is harder to work with, and the lack of
a hierarchical directory structure is a real drawback.  (Anyone who
thinks subdirectories are a PAIN has *never* used Davex...they've
probably just used AppleWorks, which makes directories about 256
times harder to use than they should be.)

>Bob Church
>CS656@OUACCVMB

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (06/21/88)

In article <8806191654.aa06381@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS.BITNET ("David A. Lyons") writes:
>							  (Anyone who
>thinks subdirectories are a PAIN has *never* used Davex...they've
>probably just used AppleWorks, which makes directories about 256
>times harder to use than they should be.)
>
>--David A. Lyons

I like davex, I've used it, and I urge you to make it more UN*Xy, Dave,
really! :-) (Didja every get around to the space=yes deal?)

If you think the command shells available for ProDOS are funky, go run out
and try your latest korne shell. . .

There's always room for improvent.  I'm sure I could write a really funky
shell that does great file manipulation, but it wouldn't have any features.

And I think appleworks make them about 256! times harder than on an IBM, and
if you've every used an IBM (I know you have, Dave) you know what I mean. . .

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET