[comp.sys.apple] Great customer service

bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Bob Sherman) (06/12/88)

At the recent Applefest, I purchased a couple of the brand new CMS 30 Meg
hard drives. Upon trying them after they arrived in Miami, I noticed that
one of them was acting quite strange..

I placed a call on tuesday to the CMS technical support folks at the
factory, telling them of the problem.

They suggested the drive be returned to them, as they agreed that all
was not right. The next afternoon (Wed) I shipped the drive via Federal
Express second day air figuring, based on my conversation with the
factory, that about a week would go by before I saw the drive again..

SURPRISE!! less than 48 hours later, early Friday morning, a truck delivered
a brand new drive to my home..

Now that's what I call customer service.. I wonder how many other Apple
related hardware vendors offer that kind of service.. Needless to say,
wenam asked about hard drives, CMS will be the first word out of my
mouth (yes folks, I too have heard the horror stories regarding the other
well known hard drive manufacturer).

UUCP: [ ihnp4 cbosgd sdcsvax ] !crash!pro-exchange!bsherman
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc.mil
INET: bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (06/15/88)

Bob Sherman about CMS....

>They suggested the drive be returned to them, as they agreed that all
>was not right. The next afternoon (Wed) I shipped the drive via Federal
>Express second day air figuring, based on my conversation with the
>factory, that about a week would go by before I saw the drive again..

>SURPRISE!! less than 48 hours later, early Friday morning, a truck delivered
>a brand new drive to my home.

Ya' know, if more tales like these were circulated more widely, more companies
may come to realize just how important little things like this are. That's why
it is important to flame about companies that leave people in the dark and to
praise those who take care of their customers. That way, more consumer dollars
can be directed toward companies who are the most considerate. A little
evolution (survival of the friendliest?) and the world may just improve a
bit.....

Capt. Albatross
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu

============
disclaimer: These opinions are mine and will remain so until more intelligent
or insightful or informed people are kind enough to show me the error of my
ways.
Remember: A mind is a terrible thing to baste.

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (06/18/88)

In article <oWhNvpy00Uo5z5U0KI@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>[good things about CMS]
>
>Ya' know, if more tales like these were circulated more widely, more companies
>may come to realize just how important little things like this are. That's why
>it is important to flame about companies that leave people in the dark and to
>praise those who take care of their customers. That way, more consumer dollars
>can be directed toward companies who are the most considerate. A little
>evolution (survival of the friendliest?) and the world may just improve a
>bit.....
>

>Capt. Albatross

This is also true of retail outlets.  I have been known to walk into a
computer store with well over $100 *cash* to buy a paripheral, no need for
sales talk, about 10 minutes tops to do the whole thing -- only to have the
folks in their stuffed shirts totally ignore me, long hair, jeans and all.
When they *finally* get to me, I tell them what I was going to buy, show
them the cash.  When he starts to get it, I tell him not to bother, I didn't
like his attitude, and I'm going somewhere else.  Now, before I get yelled
at by people telling me that I should expect that kind of service, since
most long-haired-hippy-freaks *don't* buy things, I tell you that I bought
well over $100 from these folks, and they *should* have known me.

The worst time was when I wanted to talk to the manager about this surly
employee -- only to find out the surly employee *was* the manager.  I
haven't been back there.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET

Mandel@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA (Mark Mandel) (06/20/88)

OK, Sean, what was the store?  If we're rewarding the good and punishing
the bad by spreading our experience, you ought to tell us which store
ignores longhairs.

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (06/23/88)

In article <880620154221.782811@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA> Mandel@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA (Mark Mandel) writes:
>OK, Sean, what was the store?  If we're rewarding the good and punishing
>the bad by spreading our experience, you ought to tell us which store
>ignores longhairs.

TEAM Electronics, Iowa City, Iowa, Sycamore Mall. 1985.  Haven't been back
since.

Sean Kamath

(Boy, I sure hope I don't get in trouble for *this*!)