[comp.sys.apple] PR#

Mandel@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA (Mark Mandel) (06/24/88)

My host is also a Multics system, like Dockmaster, and there's a very
simple fix for the loss of # while uploading.  # is Multics's default
"erase" character, as @ is its default "kill-line" character.  When I'm
uploading a text file, I first issue the command
          stty -modes ^erkl

This command turns off erase and kill processing in the terminal-input.
Any occurrences in the input of the current erase and kill characters
are taken literally and passed straight through to the file.  When done,
I tell it
          stty -modes erkl
 to turn erase/kill processing back on.

                                        -- Mark Mandel

 * My employer is not responsible for anything I say, think, do, or eat. *

In article <880624132001.871011@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA> Mandel@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA (Mark Mandel) writes:
># is Multics's default "erase" character, as @ is its default "kill-line"
>character.

The same is true of UNIX, but
	(a) interactive users almost invariably reset these to control
	characters, typically ^H and ^U.
	(b) mail transfer is done by programs that take care of all
	aspects of the protocol, e.g. SMTP.