[comp.sys.apple] Screwed by the host

McAllister@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (06/22/88)

I hope you are all amused.  My host reformats what I send such that
PR(pound sign) becomes P.  Isn't this a form of censuring.  I'm upset
and have to expend effort to fight back against this silliness.  What I
send is my business not some host ****machine*****.  Rise up you "users"
demand an end to this ministry of truth.

In article <8806221056.aa15612@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>I hope you are all amused.  My host reformats what I send such that
>>PR(pound sign) becomes P.
>Computers are poor dumb animals, arguing about some of the things
>they do is like trying to reason with a puppy dog (you can train 'em
>but you can't convince 'em).

Poppycock!  There is no excuse for mailers that mung the contents of
messages they deliver.  The fault is not with "computers", but with
incompetent software designers and programmers, of the mail systems,
operating systems, network systems, or any combination of these.

Don't accept CyberCrud as a necessary evil -- fight it!  Beat on your
system administrator when the system screws up your data.

McAllister@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (06/26/88)

Re:Screwed by the host 06/24/88 1323 edt fri info-apple
   Anonymous writes:
   >Don't accept CyberCrud as a necessary evil -- fight it!  Beat on your
   >system administrator when the system screws up your data.

Re:PR# 06/24/88 0926 edt fri info-apple
   Mark Mandel writes:
  >My host is also a Multics system, like Dockmaster, and there's a very
  >simple fix for the loss of # while uploading.  # is Multics's default
  >"erase" character, as @ is its default "kill-line" character. When I'm
  >uploading a text file, I first issue the command
  >          stty -modes ^erkl

Re:Screwed by the host 06/23/88 0123 edt thu info-apple
  Murphy Sewall writes:
  >Some of us got confused as well as amused. .....

Machines are dumb but people are helpful on forums like INFO-APPLE. Please
note that the characters and format in this message are undistorted.

        Thanks to:
                *   My system administrator for unchanged format
                *   Mark Mandel for #'s and @'s
                *   Murphy Sewall for the gentle reminder to
                    properly reference messages.

Richard McAllister
ARPA: McAllister at Dockmaster.Arpa