[comp.sys.apple] AMACS - ProDOS text editor for the Apple 2

bfox%vision@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Brian Fox) (06/22/88)

Thanks to Bruce Halpern for pointing me at Brian Fox's address:
 bfox@wheaties.ai.mit.edu  The program is not as expensive as Sean
thought.

---------------------
Disclaimer: --- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu        Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                           School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax} Univ. of Connecticut
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL

"It might help if we ran the MBA's out of Washington." - Adm Grace Hopper
      Your AMACS program has been recommended to me.

      I have a //e (128K, unenhanced) and a //c. (5.25 drives only).  How much
      is the program?

My Snail address is:

AMACS c/o Brian Fox
220 Ladera St. #214
Santa Barbara, CA. 93101
(805) 963-7843

The program costs $79.00.  I don't happen to have a blurb on the program
availabe right now (my //gs is in Boston) but I can say that it is Emacs for
the Apple // family of computers.

Looking forward to more correspondence,

    Brian Fox

news@steinmetz.ge.com (news) (06/24/88)

From: elliott@glacier.steinmetz ()

I must admit, I find this extremely intriguing. I wish you HAD posted
a blurb; I am a GNU-Emacs addict, and would LOVE to have an editor
on my apple which uses a similar kind of interface. That alone might
be enough to pay $80 for.

HOWEVER, I find it impossible to believe that AMACS is actually "Emacs
for the apple". For that to be true, it would have to be the most
amazing implementation feat ever. (Including all the lisp libraries,
Emacs amounts to many megs meg of source and object, and the Emacs I
am writing this posting with is using over a meg of VIRTUAL MEMORY right
now).  Not even an AT&T 3B2/300 (a small UNIX machine with 1 meg ram
and about 70 meg disk) can really deal with Emacs, so how on earth
could an apple with a 64K address space?

It seems much more likely to me that AMACS is a small subset of Emacs,
which, as I mentioned would certainly be very nice in itself. But I'm
sure Richard Stallman would prefer you not call it Emacs (or, at
least, would prefer that you call it a subset or "ersatz Emacs", as he
says...)

So, please clarify exactly what AMACS does. Is it extensible? How does
that work, with Emacs Lisp? Or is it just a text editor with
emacs-like key bindings? I'm very interested...
 .     .    .    .   .  . ... .  .   .    .    .     .    .   .   .  . ... . .

 Jim Elliott                       /    ...!seismo!uunet!steinmetz!crd!elliott
                                  /
 "Don't look, son, it's          /      Jim_Elliott%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu [school]
  a secular humanist!"          /  (or)     elliott@ge-crd.arpa	      [work]
 .     .    .    .   .  . ... .  .   .    .    .     .    .   .   .  . ... . .

In article <11339@steinmetz.ge.com> elliott@glacier.steinmetz.ge.com (Jim Elliott) writes:
-It seems much more likely to me that AMACS is a small subset of Emacs,
-which, as I mentioned would certainly be very nice in itself. But I'm
-sure Richard Stallman would prefer you not call it Emacs (or, at
-least, would prefer that you call it a subset or "ersatz Emacs", as he
-says...)

I wasn't aware that Stallman owned EMACS.  Real EMACS is a humongous TECO
macro.  So there.

>So, please clarify exactly what AMACS does. Is it extensible? How does
>that work, with Emacs Lisp? Or is it just a text editor with
>emacs-like key bindings? I'm very interested...

I don't believe Brian Fox (author of AMACS) is a regular reader of
info-apple, however I did post his email address (for those who
missed it) it's: bfox@wheaties.ai.mit.edu

I know that's a good address, because he replied.  Evidently he's
spending the Summer in California, and his mit address is auto-forwarding
his mail.  Several people have posted a USnail address which also may
be forwarding, but for the time being the most DIRECT postal address is
(I say again) -

AMACS c/o Brian Fox
220 Ladera St. #214
Santa Barbara, CA. 93101
(805) 963-7843

---------------------

bfox%vision@HUB.UCSB.EDU (Brian Fox) (06/25/88)

      It seems much more likely to me that AMACS is a small subset of Emacs,
      which, as I mentioned would certainly be very nice in itself. But I'm
      sure Richard Stallman would prefer you not call it Emacs (or, at least,
      would prefer that you call it a subset or "ersatz Emacs", as he says...)

I work for Richard Stallman; we are writing GNU together, along with others.
I don't call my program "Emacs", I call it AMACS.  It *is* an Emacs for the
Apple; the closest Emacs to it is Twenex Emacs.  It is a subset of Gnu Emacs,
and it doesn't have a Lisp builtin (this version, anyway) but I wouldn't call
it small.  Try my demo offer; then decide for yourself.  I will be glad to
have you review this editor as long as you make public your findings.  If you
are interested, please reply publicly; you have made your negatice, and
unfounded opinions public already.

RMS called MINCE an "ersatz emacs"; AMACS is not even close to MINCE in its
limitations.

Brian Fox

elliott@glacier.steinmetz (06/26/88)

In article <8149@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>I wasn't aware that Stallman owned EMACS.  Real EMACS is a humongous TECO
>macro.  So there.

What you are referring to is the initial implementation of EMACS. Yes,
it was done in macros in the TECO editor, which were written by (guess
who?) Richard Stallman.

However, I doubt many people use that implementation anymore.
Stallman's current Emacs, GNU-Emacs is vastly technically superior.
And it is free.

GNU-Emacs is "owned" by the Free Software Foundation, and has been
ported to many machines. If it works on your machine, you can get it
for free. That is the way the licensing agreement works. (See "The GNU
Manifesto" for a more detailed description of the Free Software
Foundation's philosophy).

When I mentioned Stallman's concern over calling a small subset of
Emacs an "Emacs", I was referring to a quote from him in an article
describing the history and evolution of Emacs-like editors. There are
some extremely subtle and powerful things about Emacs which are often
not implemented in subsets (since they require Emacs to be a very fast
and efficient interpreted language, and are very taxing on small
systems). Stallman does not want people who are using these subsets to
mistakenly believe they are using a full Emacs, for they then may
never know the full power of an open, extensible editor, and the kind
of environment for thought and creation that it provides.
 .     .    .    .   .  . ... .  .   .    .    .     .    .   .   .  . ... . .

crimmins@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Crimmins) (06/26/88)

In article <8806250432.aa08712@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> bfox%cornu@hub.ucsb.edu writes:
>I work for Richard Stallman; we are writing GNU together, along with others.
>I don't call my program "Emacs", I call it AMACS.  It *is* an Emacs for the
>Apple; the closest Emacs to it is Twenex Emacs.  It is a subset of Gnu Emacs,
>and it doesn't have a Lisp builtin (this version, anyway) but I wouldn't call
>it small.  Try my demo offer; then decide for yourself.  I will be glad to

>Brian Fox

What demo offer?  Is this a private offer to someone, or do you have
a demo that I can get cheap?  Also, does AMACS have mouse cursor
positioning, or is it entirely key-based (I use a Kermit enhancement
to use mouse cursor positioning with mainframe Emacs, GNUEmacs, and so
on; it makes editing so much easier)?  Can it work from a ram disk
(like the Applied Engineering Z-Rams)?  Does it support extra memory
in other ways?

Thanks for any information,
Mark Crimmins
crimmins@csli.stanford.edu

elliott@glacier.steinmetz (06/26/88)

In article <8806250432.aa08712@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> bfox%cornu@hub.ucsb.edu writes:
>I work for Richard Stallman; we are writing GNU together, along with others.
>I don't call my program "Emacs", I call it AMACS.  It *is* an Emacs for the
>Apple; the closest Emacs to it is Twenex Emacs.  It is a subset of Gnu Emacs,
>and it doesn't have a Lisp builtin (this version, anyway) but I wouldn't call
>it small.  Try my demo offer; then decide for yourself.  I will be glad to
>have you review this editor as long as you make public your findings.  If you
>are interested, please reply publicly; you have made your negatice, and
>unfounded opinions public already.

Please don't accuse me of voicing opinions about AMACS! Reading my
posting carefully should have revealed that I have never seen it, and
am very eager to do so. I was expressing doubt over another person's
claim that it was "Emacs for the Apple". Largely this was because I
did not want to get too excited about it; I very much like Emacs, and
am extremely frustrated with all the editors I have seen on the Apple.

From what you have said above, AMACS sounds like an >extremely<
worthwhile package, much more than I was even optimistically hoping
when I said it might be worth the $80 price tag that was quoted.

Finally, I was not complaining about your choice of name, but another
person who had (mistakenly, I believed at the time) called it Emacs.

So, far from being negative, my opinions of AMACS are unformed, but
eagerly curious.