[comp.sys.apple] 'Keeping up' at high speeds

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (06/27/88)

In article <8806242338.aa06649@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>btw, kermit cant keep up with 19200bps, z-link does...
>
>Kermit WILL keep up... IF the other end supports X-ON/X-OFF

But I don't consider that to be 'keeping up', it should be able to
deal with 19.2 kbps all the time, without any flow control at all.

XON/XOFF is a hack at best, and it can cause serious problems with
certain applications (emacs, etc).

(A few) People write MIDI code for Apple ]['s, it seems like that would
have to run at least 30 kbps with no problems....

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

In article <2076@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>But I don't consider that to be 'keeping up', it should be able to
>deal with 19.2 kbps all the time, without any flow control at all.

That's simply not realistic.  Depending on the incoming data stream,
an arbitrarily large amount of work may get backlogged.  Some form of
flow control is essential for any "intelligent" terminal.

>XON/XOFF is a hack at best, and it can cause serious problems with
>certain applications (emacs, etc).

DC3/DC1 control functions are part of the ASCII standard, and they are
widely used, probably more than any other form of flow control.  EMACS
will work fine if it pays attention to the settings of the terminal
handler on the host (in particular, whether DC3/DC1 flow control is
enabled when EMACS is started).  Some implementations of EMACS do this
right.