[comp.sys.apple] Mouse card trouble?

mturner@convexc.UUCP (06/20/88)

Recently my printer started acting strange so I pulled all the boards
out of my ][e and narrowed the trouble down to the mouse card. I
then ran dazzle draw and it said it could not find a mouse card
although it was installed. Does anyone have any ideas
about fixing the mouse card? (frequent bad chips,.,. etc )

thanks in advance,

---Mike Turner {uucp:ihnp4!convex!mturner}

"imagination is more important than knowledge"--A. Einstein

>Recently my printer started acting strange so I pulled all the boards
>out of my ][e and narrowed the trouble down to the mouse card. I
>then ran dazzle draw and it said it could not find a mouse card
>although it was installed. Does anyone have any ideas
>about fixing the mouse card? (frequent bad chips,.,. etc )

The last time my printer started doing peculiar things I traced the problem
to my print spooler RAM.  Before I paniced and packed the whole thing up
for an EXPENSIVE trip to the shop, I took out a standard No. 2 pencil and
pressed down EACH chip on the board with the eraser end (one or two of the
chips actually made small noises indicating they were not firmly seated in
their sockets).  Cleared the problem right away.

I take it the Mouse card seemed to be working until you started searching
for the printer problem?  You could be lucky enough to solve it by simply
cleaning the cards contacts (LIGHTLY with the No 2 pencil eraser again) and
pressing down all the socketed chips on the card (lets hope so  -- if I'm
correct, you know where to send appropriate renumeration :-)))

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"It might help if we ran the MBA's out of Washington." - Adm Grace Hopper

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (07/06/88)

In article <8807051552.aa14398@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>Does anyone have any ideas about fixing the mouse card? (bad chips,.,. etc )
>
>You could be lucky enough to solve it by simply pressing down all the
>socketed chips on the card

Well, I believe that one of the salient features of the AppleMouse card
(and most of the newer Apple cards) is that NONE of the chips are socketed.

It's enough to drive me to buy a clone card, (if it were made.)
Example: my clone SSC is fully socketed, but my 1981-vintage Apple SSC
is not.  (On the other hand, the clone was non-working when I picked it
up at a hamfest.  But I know that if I wanted to fix it, I could simply by
replacing the bad chip(s)).
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}