[comp.sys.apple] Claris buys Styleware: good or bad?

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (07/07/88)

When the ads started appearing for Styleware's GSWorks, some wags
on the net were joking that Claris should buy the rights to it to
save them the work of doing a 16-bit port of their cash cow, Appleworks.

Guess what, boys & girls... blurbs in MacWeek and Infoworld this week
(5 July) that Claris bought the company in toto, getting them GSWorks,
Multiscribe GS, etc.  GSWorks will be renamed Appleworks GS.  The MacWeek
article admits that Appleworks is the second best selling integrated
software package.  They also claimed that with an installed base of
250K units (!), the ][GS is 'the number one selling CPU at retail'.

I'm not sure whether to be happy that the Styleware packages are now
blessed by Apple's official software arm, or thoroughly disappointed
that Claris seems to have extended its leeching on the Apple ][ market
even further to fund their Mac work, which they seem to present as
the only 'real' machine they offer code for.

One aggravating note: the MacWeek article was downplaying the future
of the Apple ][, saying "Although the future of the Apple ][ is unclear,
observers agree the acquisition is a good move for Claris. 'Even if the
Apple ][ dies, Claris will still make money off this', said Stewart Alsop,
editor/publisher of PC Letter."  I'm sure the people involved on the
rumored GSPlus project (any word on when we peons may see it?) just
LOVED hearing talk like that.

I only wish I could get my hands on a copy of GSWorks before Claris
takes it over, as a vote of displeasure.

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: {att, rutgers}!mtune!rkh		Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
Apple ConsumerLink: RobertH107			GEnie:R.HALLORAN
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857		DDD: 201-251-7514 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the Dark."
	- Dr. Lizardo/John Whorfin, "Buckaroo Banzai"

In article <7427@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>They also claimed that with an installed base of
>250K units (!), the ][GS is 'the number one selling CPU at retail'.

I wonder if the Apple VP recently interviewed in Open-Apple who thinks
that the only market for the Apple II family worth pursuing is the
"education" market (and that the only significant market for the
Macintosh is the "business" market) has noticed these retail figures.

I'm neither a business nor an educational market..