[comp.sys.apple] RELAY

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (04/02/88)

There seem to be quite a few BITNET users on INFO-APP. Would anyone be interest
ed in setting a time and date for meeting on RELAY? It would be a good way to
discuss some of the topics bouncing around.
Send me a message if you're interested.
Bob Church  CS656 at OUACCVMB

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (04/03/88)

 CS656%OUACCVMB.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>There seem to be quite a few BITNET users on INFO-APP. Would anyone be interest
>ed in setting a time and date for meeting on RELAY? It would be a good way to
>discuss some of the topics bouncing around.

Often when I'm reading my mail in the evening I signon to relay
channel 222 (as in Apple 2 forever).  It's a private channel (tends to
limit extraneous msgs from the riff-raff), but if I'm there it's
marked by the topic: 222: Apple_2 Spoken_here

For those of you not on bitnet, relay is a netwide "chat" facility.
I gather it's analogous to the "CB" function on compuserve.  Alas,
since it's on-line, it can't be accessed through a gateway.

---------------------
Disclaimer: I like my opinions better than my employer's anyway...

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (04/05/88)

In article <8804022356.aa21746@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>For those of you not on bitnet, relay is a netwide "chat" facility.
>I gather it's analogous to the "CB" function on compuserve.  Alas,
>since it's on-line, it can't be accessed through a gateway.
It would seem that all that is needed is a bitnet node with software
to support chatting.  I can imagine that there'd be policy reasons for
not doing this, rather than technical ones (it's just software!)

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

williamm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Michael Williams) (04/09/88)

In article <8804022356.aa21746@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>Often when I'm reading my mail in the evening I signon to relay
>channel 222 (as in Apple 2 forever).  It's a private channel (tends to
>limit extraneous msgs from the riff-raff), but if I'm there it's
>marked by the topic: 222: Apple_2 Spoken_here

   Channel 222?  When I connect to RELAY, the /channel shows me
only 1-99 useable.  Perhaps this is just another administrative
action locally.  Or perhaps I could actually USE 222, even though
it isn't listed (or does private imply MORE than simply keeping
out the extraneous global messages?).  I suppose all I can do is
play around with it, but our connection was down/it wasn't up
last time I tried...

Remo

.{nbires,ncar,seismo,ihnp4}!boulder!tramp!williamm \ Bela Lugosi  riding  the
BIT: WILLIAMS@COLORADO.EDU                          / Kundalini Express in ...
SNAIL: 2905 E Aurora Ave #129, Boulder CO 80303     \ (could it be?) Sunshine!
      "Aw SHPX this and SHPX that, SHPX it all SHPXing, SHPXing blat!
          She don't wanna baby 'at looks like THAT!" SeX PiStoLs

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (07/08/88)

Let's try the RELAY meet again. I'd like to try it before the local children
get OU kicked off again. Any suggestions on a time?
Bob Church
CS656@OUACCVMB