[comp.sys.apple] Amy and Apple

news@spies.UUCP (07/04/88)

Well, here's an interesting delema. I realize that some peple have two
computers, like myself. An APple, and an Amiga. I recently got a 500,
and I already have an Imagerwriter II. I love the Imagy all around and
want to use it on my amy. I'm looking to hook it up to the Parallel port
to the Amiga. I heard RedMand cable can solve my problem, yet, I don't
have the number, and I am looking for alternalte solutions. Please help.

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (07/07/88)

jeremy@fatcat.UUCP writes:
>Well, here's an interesting delema. I realize that some peple have two
>computers, like myself. An APple, and an Amiga. I recently got a 500,
>and I already have an Imagerwriter II. I love the Imagy all around and
>want to use it on my amy. I'm looking to hook it up to the Parallel port
>to the Amiga. I heard RedMand cable can solve my problem, yet, I don't
>have the number, and I am looking for alternalte solutions. Please help.

ONE alternate solution is to make your own cable.  I've had to do this on two
occasions now.  BUT you need the entire pinout of the Imagewriter II and the
Amiga and it might not work if there is something "strange going on".  In
other words if you make the cable right and it still doesn't work don't blame
me.  You might consider using shielded cable and ground the shielding.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason) (07/08/88)

In article <4763@gryphon.CTS.COM>, bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
> jeremy@fatcat.UUCP writes:
> > [Stuff deleted]
> >I love the Imagy all around and want to use it on my amy.
> >I'm looking to hook it up to the Parallel port to the Amiga. [...]
>
> ONE alternate solution is to make your own cable.  I've had to do this on two
> [Stuff regarding making a cable]
>
> Bill

	I'm not aware of any way to make a cable that converts from parallel
to serial (without having some extra hardware in there somewhere). I believe
that this is the major part of his problem... As for taking care of his
problem, I've seen ads for parallel/serial converters with buffers, but I
don't recall where... I had a similar problem (I have an Atari ST with an
Epson LX-800) when I started to program my //gs heavily (gee, I only get to
see 20 lines at a time of this 4000 line program? How nice...). I got an
IW // for the //gs... Much simpler (also more expensive, though) to handle,
no messy cable plugging and unplugging (of course, this is more of a problem
with parallels than it is with serial printers).

--

	Jason - Not your average iconoclast

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (07/10/88)

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason) writes:
>	I'm not aware of any way to make a cable that converts from parallel
>to serial (without having some extra hardware in there somewhere). I believe
>that this is the major part of his problem... As for taking care of his
>problem, I've seen ads for parallel/serial converters with buffers, but I

I thought the new Imagewriter had both parallel and serial input?  If not then
obviously a simple cable won't make it.  There are serial and parallel
converters.  MicroFaser or some such made one that I used to convert serial to
parallel with a built in buffer and it all worked fine.  This was an Apple //c
to my MX-80.  Sorry I made the assumption that the original poster knew
serial and parallel meant more then finding a cable.