[comp.sys.apple] duo-disk,Apple Demos

oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) (07/09/88)

This is a combination of two things so here goes.. For the person who is having
problems with their duo-disk.. How old is it?  I had a //e with a Duo-Disk
when it first came out.  It turned out that later it began trashing some of my
Copy-Protected disks and trashing my ORIGINAL unprotected (but write protected)
disks when trying to make backups (i.e. Appleworks).  It turned out that it
needed a fix on the board inside the Duo-Disk.. If you have had this done or
have a relatively new Duo-Disk, I don't know what to tell you..

2) As for new Tech examples from Apple.. Please put out something showing how
to make custonm dials in windows (i.e. make a scroll bar in the shape of a
thermometer to let kids select say, the weather for a certain day in a certain
piec of educational software)

Joel Sumner

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/09/88)

In article <157@thelink.UUCP> oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) writes:

>2) As for new Tech examples from Apple.. Please put out something showing how
>to make custonm dials in windows (i.e. make a scroll bar in the shape of a
>thermometer to let kids select say, the weather for a certain day in a certain
>piec of educational software)
>

>Joel Sumner

Joel,

Well....I can meat you half weigh. I do have a custom control sample, but it
does not do *exactly* what you requested. I does show very clearly how to do
what you want though. It is a sizer/positioner (I still haven't figured out
a good name for it!). It is merely a box with some knobs on the corners and
edges. You can click on a knob and change the size of the box, or click on
the frame or interior and drag the whole thing around.

How is this similar to what you want to do? Well, controls are actually very
easy to write, once you know what the manual is trying to tell you (which it
doesn't do very well. Even the guy who WROTE the Control Manager had to refer
to his source code in order to write a custom control!). But basically,
controls fall into to classes: ones with indicators, and ones without. The
ones without (like simple buttons and checkboxes) are very simple to write,
even with the toolbox manual. But handling indicators is more difficult. By
using the sample we provide, you can see what each DefProc routine is used for.
From there, it is very easy to write the control you want.

Otay?

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (07/10/88)

>>2) As for new Tech examples from Apple.. Please put out something showing how
>>to make custonm dials in windows (i.e. make a scroll bar in the shape of a
>>Joel Sumner
>Well....I can meat you half weigh. I do have a custom control sample, but it
>does not do *exactly* what you requested. I does show very clearly how to do
>what you want though. It is a sizer/positioner (I still haven't figured out
>a good name for it!). It is merely a box with some knobs on the corners and
>edges. You can click on a knob and change the size of the box, or click on
>the frame or interior and drag the whole thing around.
>Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\

  Get this critter out to where the masses can see it!  We have spent several
weeks trying to (unsuccessfully) do tasks like this.  Why are there no examples
out there?

  Reminders of things that NEED doing:

  Example alert box.
  Large, useful, data-packed example involving print manager
  Ditto for list manager.
  Resources, and well designed dynamic segemnts.  Admittedly, this is an
    example demonstrating a feature that does not exist yet, but a man can hope.
     :-)
  Many more, but it is getting late over here...
                                                     Scott
                                                SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX