[comp.sys.apple] Apple Demos

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/11/88)

In article <8807100320.aa02243@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") writes:
>>>2) As for new Tech examples from Apple.. Please put out something showing how
>>>to make custonm dials in windows (i.e. make a scroll bar in the shape of a
>>>Joel Sumner
>>Well....I can meat you half weigh. I do have a custom control sample, but it
>>does not do *exactly* what you requested. I does show very clearly how to do
>>what you want though. It is a sizer/positioner (I still haven't figured out
>>Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
>

>  Get this critter out to where the masses can see it!  We have spent several
>weeks trying to (unsuccessfully) do tasks like this.  Why are there no examples
>out there?

That's the intention, Scott. We're working on it as fast as we can. These
samples should be ready in a couple of months. There are only two of us right
now working on about 2 dozen program simultaneously. This is in addition to
giving support to developers by answering their questions.

Tech support for the Apple line should be explained and appologized for. Up
until a few months ago, Apple virtually didn't have an Apple II tech support
department. However, that was not a marketing decision!!! It was sheer bad
luck. 3 peole left the group around the same time, reducing the number of
people left to answer all the questions we get to 3. In March of this year,
4 new people were hired (including yours truly). Since then, we have been able
to keep up with our e-mail questions, and have started writing new technotes,
revising all of the old ones, and creating "Living technotes", the demos that
have been alluded to. So as that guy said in 2010, "Something wonderful is
going to happen"!!! Hang in there.

>  Reminders of things that NEED doing:
>
>  Example alert box.
>  Large, useful, data-packed example involving print manager
>  Ditto for list manager.
>  Resources, and well designed dynamic segemnts.  Admittedly, this is an
>    example demonstrating a feature that does not exist yet, but a man can hope.

3 of these 4 will be shown on the first Volume of the Living Technotes. All of
our about boxes are done with Alert Boxes. I have written a Lister program that
was originally written to teach me how to program in C, but was expanded to be
a useful utility and demo. It merely takes a TXT or SRC file and sends it to a
printer. PostScript is supported. Jim (the other guy working on this) and I
have written a program that uses the List Manager and LineEdit. A list is
maintained by simple buttons, and editted with a LineEdit item. Cut, Copy,
Paste, and Clear are supported (Undo is NOT).

I hope that is enough to whet your appetite. Now I just hope that we ship this
thing, now that I've promised it to everyone. BTW, I don't know how the
distribution is going to be handled on this. The original idea was simply to
mail it to developers. However, I want it sent to APDA as well. I don't know
if electronic distribution is going to be done, as there is a LOT of source.
Up and downloading would reduce this net to tears! (the programs were actually
shorter, but some people in SW Engineering insisted that we comment the
suckers...imagine!  :-)

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (07/11/88)

>                                               BTW, I don't know how the
> distribution is going to be handled on this. The original idea was simply to
> mail it to developers. However, I want it sent to APDA as well. I don't know
> if electronic distribution is going to be done, as there is a LOT of source.
> Up and downloading would reduce this net to tears! (the programs were actually
> shorter, but some people in SW Engineering insisted that we comment the
> suckers...imagine!  :-)

Please realize that there are a lot of us who are not registered
developers, but who could still benefit from the Demos.  I do belong
to APDA and I feel that you *MUST* distribute it through them as a
minimum.  It would, however, be far better to post the files to
APPLE2-L.  I think that this would be important and useful enough
information to enough people to warrant the traffic.  I would also
suggest that you distribute the assembled (or compiled) binary files
in addition to the source.  Not all of us have every
assembler/compiler (I use TML Pascal with the Toolbox routines).  I
sometimes find it very helpful to be able to run the program while I
am looking at the source.

I think that you are working on a very important project, and I only
hope that you distribute the information to as many interested
parties as possible.  Remember, even though I am not a registered
developer, the more knowledgeable I am about the Apple, the more
hardware and software I am going to buy and the more I will tell my
friends about it.  Who knows, some day I might become registered!
:-)

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                  (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU            ARPA: jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,  Bethesda, MD 20892

SELLSWORTH@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Scott, part time fuzzy") (07/12/88)

  I hate posting this netwide, but we just lost our computer on uucp, so bitnet
it is.

  Keith, perhaps you should consider making these available to those outside
the developer community who would like them.  Distribution to dealers might
work out well.  I am not sure of the logistics, but it seems like a dealer
would be able to cover a great number of the folks that APDA and the certified
developers would not.

                                               Scott
                                           SELLSWOR@HMCVAX