[comp.sys.apple] ZIP Chip compatibility problems

mkao@crash.cts.com (Mike Kao) (07/12/88)

Zip Technologies really pisses me off. After waiting since the September,
'87 AppleFest, I FINALLY received my 2 Zip chips. Guess what? It doesn't
work properly with my computer! Let me explain the situation...

I bought 2 chips, 1 for me home computer and 1 for the //e in our store. Both
chips work fine on the //e at the store, but neither works correctly on mine.
My computer is an enhanced //e, Rev. B motherboard. The other is one of the
newer //e's, but not as new as the platinum models. As far as I could tell,
the only noticeable difference was that this one had a CF ROM in place of the
CD and EF ROM's on my machine. I'm not sure if the motherboard was later than
B, though. At any rate, whenever I installed the chips on my older //e, the
acceleration works fine, but all the Control-Reset sequences (including
those used in conjunction with Apple keys) are screwed up. The worst thing
is that SOMETIMES they will work: Control-OpenApple-Reset only SOMETIMES re-
boots. I have yet to get Control-ClosedApple-Reset self-test NOT to freeze up.
All of these "normal" //e features work fine on the newer //e equipped with
the same chips. I have also taken EVERY peripheral out of my //e, even replaced
my current Applied Engineering power supply with Apple's original -- all to
no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Is anyone from Zip listening?

--

To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!

                                                                  -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (07/13/88)

In article <3193@crash.cts.com> mkao@crash.CTS.COM (Mike Kao) writes:
>Zip Technologies really pisses me off. After waiting since the September,
>'87 AppleFest, I FINALLY received my 2 Zip chips. Guess what? It doesn't
>work properly with my computer! Let me explain the situation...

Don't gie them to much pain!  THey got caught, not being very experienced
with production and such.  ANd it might not be their fault at all.

>Both
>chips work fine on the //e at the store, but neither works correctly on mine.
>[short description of setup and problem]
>All of these "normal" //e features work fine on the newer //e equipped with
>the same chips. I have also taken EVERY peripheral out of my //e, even replaced
>my current Applied Engineering power supply with Apple's original -- all to
>no avail.
>
>Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Is anyone from Zip listening?

I doubt anyone at Zip is, but they might.

I had a very similar problem with a No-Slot clock.  I never did figure out
exactly why it didn't work in my original //e, and by the time I found out
about this, I had already done a full system swap with my newer one.  Seems
that on some //e's the MMU is flaky.  Oh, it works, but not exactly.  I had
a 65802 with the no-slot clock.  It didn't work.  Put in the 6502, and it
worked.  Worked with the '802 in the other //e (and still does.).  So, try
swapping MMU's.  I *think* they are the same on both computers, but it might
be best to get another 2-ROM //e's.  I think Open-Apple had a list of bad
part numbers for the MMU.  I'll check.

>                                                                  -- Mike Kao

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET