[comp.sys.apple] drive problem still

urt@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Allen Wilkinson) (07/12/88)

Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately nothing has proven
effective. I do do monthly maintenance on my computer, I even
use the Qtip cleaning method that was mentioned. As for drive
speed, I have been checking it ever since I bought CopyII+.
Since the problems started occurring I have checked it three times.
The first time I needed to adjust the speed, but since then there
has been very little change.

With all this in mind can anyone think of anything else to try.
I've put up with the problem for about three months and I finally
what to fix it. Besides the annoying problem of I don't know if
the next new disk I try will work or not I would really like to
play Ultima IV!!!

Thanks again,

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|                                   -------                            |
|  R. Allen "Urt" Wilkinson       / o   o /| "Reality is only someone  |
|  National Bureau of Standards  / o   o /o|    else's Fantasy."       |
|  Bldg 225  Room A216           ------- oo|                           |
|  Gaithersburg, MD 20899       | o   o |oo                ---[        |
|  ARPA: urt@icst-cmr.arpa      |   o   |o/     -============( ]---O   |
|  DOMAIN: urt@cmr.icst.nbs.gov | o   o |/                 ---[        |
|                                -------                               |

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (07/19/88)

In article <8807121301.AA00963@nav.icst.nbs.gov> urt@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Allen Wilkinson) writes:
>Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately nothing has proven
>effective. I do do monthly maintenance on my computer, I even
>use the Qtip cleaning method that was mentioned. As for drive
>speed, I have been checking it ever since I bought CopyII+.
>Since the problems started occurring I have checked it three times.
>The first time I needed to adjust the speed, but since then there
>has been very little change.

If Apple made a requirement about dealers not being bozo's, they might look
this up. . . Then again, maybe they did. . .

OK, folk, whip out the pens.  I couldn't scroung up the MMU list yet, but
I'm still looking.  Now, about DuoDisks.  Well, get rid of it and get a real
drive! :-) :-)  Just kidding folks, it's been a long day.

Serial Number:    676-[]101 && 676-[]102 ON THE ANALOG CARD means bad news.

FIX:	remove capacitors c29 and c30 [only on tha above analog cards!]
 Maybe mutter ICL545 at them. . .  It's either the magic code for this or --

Serial Number:	 before 325000 (on the drive itself)

FIX:		well, it's a loose analog board.  Bend the shield a little
		bit, but be careful.  You can take this one to an apple tech
		folkie.  They *should* know how to fool with it.  It's in the
		"Read this and Post" book.

		BTW, InCider was wrong, (i thing november issue), this next
		one isn't free.

There's a new rom for the //c, garbage on the screen only in terminal mode
(i.e. ^AT, not in DCOM or anything).  Proof of error or modem purchase a
must.

Some monitor ]['s have bad cables. . .sn 0000001 - 0291203

The white cord should *not* be in the middle!  Free fix, Authorization code
3BW135.

That's all for now.

>Thanks again,
>R. Allen "Urt" Wilkinson

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET: reed!kamath@PSUVAX1.BITNET