[comp.sys.apple] Aztec C65-c

) (06/14/88)

	I am considering the purchase of the Aztec C65-c (Prodos) from
Manx Software.Before I blow the bucks (approx. $300.00),I would like the
opinion of current or past users of this product.

	I would like information about the features and utilities
that come with the product.Does it have a (reasonably) good version of
vi? Does it support MAKE?

	Actually,any info I can get will be greatly appreciated.

	An aside:

	  What really ticks me off is the lack of a high quality,affordable
	C compiler for the // series ( not gs).Not that the Aztec stuff isn't
	good,but look at what $89.00 gets you for PC clone (or //gs for that
	matter).I wonder why this is?.

	Anyway,thanks in advance.

| (UUCP)       {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!fstvax.dec.com!gallo |
| (ARPA)       gallo%fstvax.DEC@decwrl.ARPA                          |
| (BITNET)     gallo@fstvax.dec.com                                  |
| (US MAIL)    DEC, 12 Crosby Drive, BUO/E38, Bedford Ma., 01730     |
| Disclaimer:                                          		     |
| 		*** Opinions expressed here are my own ***	     |
|               ***     Not those of my employer.      ***           |

wak@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (Bill Kwinn) (06/29/88)

> 	I am considering the purchase of the Aztec C65-c (Prodos) from
> Manx Software. I would like information about the features and utilities
> that come with the product.Does it have a (reasonably) good version of
> vi? Does it support MAKE?

	I have a version bought years (?)  ago, but I think it is still
the current version.  (I doubt they will turn it again.)  The product is
excellent.  However, have mercy on your 10 year old 8 bit 6502.  You do
not get multitasking, so there is no make.  You get a simple shell, with
script capability, so you can automate a full build of your program.
The product lives in a 64k world, without bank switching support, so use
a ram disk, or do your own bank switching.  They do provide an editor,
which is a (small but useful) subset of vi.  They also provide source,
so that if there is a favorite feature or two that you must have, you
can try to add it.

You get both pseudo code and native code versions, and access to the
assembly code generated by c, with the c as comments if you wish.

I have used it with a 1 megabyte IIe, and accelerator.  You can put the
entire compile path, editor, and your source in a ram disk so that your
whole edit, compile, test, edit ..  cycle can be done without hitting
the disc, (you will want to save your source, just in case).  This cycle
takes minutes, not seconds.

I am not aware of newer versions, or versions that take advantage of a
GS.

You'll love it compared to basic, but it does not convert into a hotter
machine.

Bill Kwinn
hplabs!hpfcla!wak

jason@lakesys.UUCP (Jason) (07/02/88)

In article <7370001@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM>, wak@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (Bill Kwinn) writes:
> > [Questions about Aztec C...]
> > vi? Does it support MAKE?
>
> [Praise for old version of Aztec]
> excellent.  However, have mercy on your 10 year old 8 bit 6502.  You do
> not get multitasking, so there is no make.  You get a simple shell, with
> [Description of package, praise, etc.]
>
> Bill Kwinn
> hplabs!hpfcla!wak

	I've never seen an implementation of make for a micro that requires
multi-tasking... I have, however, seen how most makes work, in that they
execute the c compiler (or whatever - spawn a shell to execute a command line)
but not spawing bg processes - is this what you're saying can't be done under
their shell?

	Might as well take the opportunity to plug gsMake while I'm here...
I just finished debugging gsMake, a VERY simplified version of make for use
with the ORCA/APW shell (Hey, it's a 7 block assembly program - I didn't want
to port one from somewhere else. Besides, if I had, it'd be some 40 block
slug that took too long to load and too long to execute) that's ShareWare.
Right now it's distribution is pretty small (some Milwaukee and Minneapolis
bulletin boards), but I'll probably get someone to upload it to GEnie and/or
CompuServe.

	Jason - Not your average iconoclast

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (07/06/88)

aztec c65-c is currently at version 3.2b. the shell is pretty nice, with env
variables etc.
--
Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume

) (07/09/88)

	First,to all who responded to my request for information about
AZTEC C65-c,thanks.I've decided to purchase the package and after using it
for a few week,I am quite satisfied with it.Once again,Thanks to all who
helped with information and advice.

	In an effort to customize the editor supplied with AZTEC,I have a need
to locate the commands to control the 80 column screen.I have searched high and
low for the information,but cannot locate a complete list of all the 80 col
card commands.If possible,cound someone either E-mail me a list of the commands
or ,give me a pointer to a fairly inexpensive book (or manual) that I might
use to obtain the commands.As a note,I tried to locate the official 80 col card
supplement to no avail.None of the books I have contain a complete list.

		Thanks,
			Tom Gallo.

wak@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (Bill Kwinn) (07/21/88)

> > [Questions about Aztec C...]
> > vi? Does it support MAKE?
>
> [Praise for old version of Aztec]
Bottom line is they do not provide make. You can write a script for
a simplified shell which can invoke commands like the compiler,
and tell it to compile and link everything in that project, but it
will not test dates and such. Also the shell script cannot invoke other
shell scripts AND RETURN. You could probably write your own make that
would test file dates, generate a single script, then invoke that script.

Bill Kwinn
hplabs!hpfcla!wak