[comp.sys.apple] unidisk drives

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (07/13/88)

A friend of mine just ordered a UNIDISK 3.5 drive. He is a little short on
space but was reassured by the dealer that the drive could be used on it's side
.
Is this a good idea, or just a way of getting repair revenue?
BOB CHURCH CS656@OUACCVMB

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (07/14/88)

In article <8807122048.aa03615@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>A friend of mine just ordered a UNIDISK 3.5 drive. He is a little short on
>space but was reassured by the dealer that the drive could be used on it's side
>.
>Is this a good idea, or just a way of getting repair revenue?

Several people here use their drives that way and we've never had any
problems.  I've also seen it done with 20SC drives and Mac II's
without problem.

-Paul R. Wenker				prw@meccsd
-MECC, Technical Services

SCP@cup.portal.com (07/15/88)

Operating a disk drive on its side is generally pretty safe, although I
wouldn't want to do it for an extended period of time.  Set the drive so that
the eject button is on 'top', this way the spring on the disk will break
sooner than the mechanism in the drive that holds the shutter open.  Not that
either is likely, but better safe than sorry.  You could always put the drive
on top of something such as a monitor or another disk drive.

j3a@psueclb.BITNET (07/22/88)

The Sider hard drive, and the Relaxx hard drive are both on their sides also.
When I run low on space on my desk I sometimes put my Disk][ floppies on their
sides.

                Jim