[comp.sys.apple] It's not over...

awillis@pro-angmar.UUCP (Albert Willis) (07/27/88)

William Rupp writes:

>I wonder whether the many Apple II users who have gripped about the Apple II
>not being able to run UNIX, not having enough this or that, etc., have ever
>run a business.  The facts, as I see it, are these:

>        a.  Apple Computer, Inc. owes nothing to users except a reliable
>            product that does what they claim it will.  If some people
>            would like the GS to have been a better machine, that's tough.
>            Sure, it would be nice if the GS had a 10Mhz clock speed and
>            a faster windowing interface, but being "nice" does not equate
>            to an obligation on Apple's part.

Apple has often admitted problems with their machines, and have acted to
correct
the obvious problems. As soon as the Mac was introduced in 1984, Apple
acknowledged that (surprise!) 128K wasn't enough. They also admitted that
attaching hard drives to the serial ports wasn't such a hot idea, either.

Apple knows that the GS isn't as fast as it should be. They've admitted that
they are working on the problem. What does that mean? We'll see in September.

>            [...]
>            In other words, even if massive improvements
>            in the IIGS could be made, it would be silly for Apple to
>            allocate money to do so.  Apple's future, immediate future,
>            at any rate, lies with the Mac.

First, improvements in the GS can be made. There's no doubt about that.
William
Mensch, the creator of the 65816 microprocessor, feels that the GS, with newer
custom chips and faster RAM could run at 8-10 Mhz--easily.

By the way, recent issue of A+ magazine noted that Apple did one billion
dollars
in Apple II business. That's (obviously) a sizeable market. It would be in
Apple's best interest to make the improvements that the GS needs. Let's not
forget that the GS was the best selling Apple computer during the holidays.
Yes,
that means that it outsold the Mac Plus, SE, and II. The Mac is very important
to Apple--there's no doubt about that. But the Apple II is also important to
Apple, even though it's hard to tell most of the time.

>When will Apple stop making Apple IIs?  As soon as they can, is my guess.
>That means as soon as the II line experiences a significant decline in
>sales.
I think that will not happen for a couple of years, but the end of >the II
line
cannot be very many years away.  For now, I imagine the top >Apple people see
the II as a continuing source of revenue which is better >kept going.  But if
the time ever comes when Apple announces *no* new >improvements or related
products for the IIs over a period of six months to >a year, I would expect
the
end to be not far off.  [...other stuff...]

Apple expects to be selling Apple II's at the turn of the century. That means
that they will make the needed improvements to keep the machine viable. Del
Yocam, Chief Operating Officer of Apple, noted in the July "Open-Apple" that
no
one at Apple can actually mark where the Apple II is in its product life. If
Apple isn't sure, who do you think you are? *You* don't know! The death of the
Apple II has been predicted so many times that I laugh when I read or hear
some
"expert" predict this.

If you've kept track of things, you'll remember that Apple has sometimes gone
for long periods of time with out announcing Apple II improvements. If we use
your 6 months- 1 year formula, that would have meant that Apple would have
stopped making Apple II's a while ago. From April '84 (Apple IIc) to September
'86 (Apple IIgs) Apple didn't announce any new Apple II machines or major
improvements. We are in the middle of a two year drought now. I expect that in
September  we'll see an improved IIgs.

>It was nice while it lasted.
>Bill

It's not over 'till it's over, dude. One thing to remember: as far as the
Apple
II is concerned, it may never die! The Apple II (particularly the GS) has an
extremely bright future. With CD-ROM's, newer, faster processors, improved
machines, etc., the Apple II "ride" is just beginning--again. I like the fact
that I'll be able to remove the 65816 processor from my GS (or upgraded GS
Plus)
and install the 32-bit 65832. Oops. Just added another 10 years to the life of
the machine. Oh well, with those Apple II's, you never know how long they'll
be
around.