[net.movies] Is GREMLINS a Ripoff?

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (07/07/84)

In article <481@trwspp.UUCP> hasiuk@trwspp.UUCP writes:
>....  Another scene in GREMLINS (involving
>a chainsaw) looked an awful lot like a scene in what I believe was the scariest
>film of all time, "The Last House on the Left".
>
>Lee Hasiuk

Actually, it looked more like "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" to me.

Speaking of "Last House" (which is up there with "Chainsaw Massacre" as
one of the most gruesome mad slashers movies), did you know that it is
quite obviously based on a classic Swedish film, "The Virgin Spring,"
which is itself based on an ancient Swedish folk tale.  What a weird
route to a horrible film.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics