[comp.sys.apple] gs -> mac file xfer

tclark@hawk.ulowell.edu (T.C. Clark) (07/22/88)

Does anyone know of a pd/sw program that will allow me to change a
P16 text file to a mac text file? I'd like to use my GS at home to
write, save the file on a Mac disc, and bring that to school to
edit on an SE. I would also consider a Mac application to do the same thing.

		Thanx,
			tom	tclark@hawk.ulowel.edu

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (07/26/88)

The Apple File Exchange program which comes with the Mac System Disk
these days will read an Apple II file and change it to a Mac file
(and visa versa).  There are also some add ons to it that will translate
file formats, e.g. Microsoft Works <--> Appleworks.

I've heard rumors of a similar utility for the Apple II line, as well
as Prodos 16 v 2.0 going to HSF so that Macs and IIs would use the same format
so that their disks would be interchangeable, but that is not out yet.

There is also a program available off Apple2-L which enables an Apple II
to read a single sided (400K) Mac disk.  Unfortunately, I don't recall
the exact name.

ARPA:   stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu        Alan H. Stein
BITNET: STEIN@UCONNVM                          University of Connecticut
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN        at Waterbury
CompuServe: 71545,1500  Genie:  ah.stein       Department of Mathematics

UD140680@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Nathan Irwin) (07/28/88)

If anyone out there knows of, or better yet, has a COPY of, a program that
makes it possible to transfer files from the // to the Mac, please post it.
*I* would interested in acquiring such a program, because my mother is a
Professor of Music here at UND.  Four years ago, she bought a //c, and used
Appleworks and Applewriter to draw up tests, assignments, bibliographies, etc.
About a year ago, she bought a back and gave the //c to me.  She now uses the
Mac exclusively, however, there are now several THOUSAND (!) pages of
information on her //c data disks that she NEEDS for her classes.  In any
event, I am sure that you can all see why I would be very greatful for any
info on such a program.

- Nathan Irwin

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (07/30/88)

In article <8807281032.aa00867@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> UD140680@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Nathan Irwin) writes:
>If anyone out there knows of, or better yet, has a COPY of, a program that
>makes it possible to transfer files from the // to the Mac, please post it.

the only program that I know of that'll do this for you is a Mac program
called Apple File Exchange. It accepts 3.5" ProDOS disks, and will copy
information from AND to it from the Mac OS side. With the right translators,
you can also convert the data you are copying so that different applications
can read it. You can also write translators to support different OSes (like
Pascal or MS-DOS).

I'd post it, but a) it's very big (about 220K I think), and b) it's available
on all current Macintosh System Disks. If you don't have it, a dealership
should let you copy it if you bring your own disks.

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"