[comp.sys.apple] TIC/Interrupts and ProDOS

McAllister@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (08/03/88)

Date:  Wednesday, 3 August 1988 0500 edt
From:  Richard McAllister<McAllister@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
Subject: TIC/Interrupts and ProDOS

Reference responses by David A. Lyons and Don Elton on 01 Aug 88 via
INFO-APPLE@BRL.ARPA (now BRL.MIL)

David Lyons did an excellent job of analyzing the handling of interrupts
by the ProDOS MLI.  Indeed the system global page change occurred in
going from PRODOS 8 version 1.1.1 to version 1.2.  I apologize to Don Elton
for the incorrect attribution. TIC uses ProDOS standardly.

The IIc System Clock, distributed by Applied Engineering, is a product of
Creative Peripherals Unlimited (CPU). It attaches to either serial port
of the IIc and is stimulated by sending a specific pattern via the command
register (I suspect on the DTR pin). It responds with data on the DSR pin
which must be read by carefully timed machine language loops with each
status check providing one data bit. It reads 40 bits representing day
of week, month, day of month, hours, minutes, seconds. I have not sorted
how the clock is set. The year must be managed by software. Any interruption
of the timing will result in bad data and the potential for interference
with another device on the same port is obvious. What is not obvious is
is why modem data is garbled when the clock is not on the same port.

David suggests that the solution is to not read the clock while in terminal
mode.  ASCII EXPRESS using XON/XOFF operates that way and can time-date
stamp ProDOS files. Both TIC and ProTERM periodically read the clock and
modem data gets garbled.  Until a better solution is found that's the
best suggestion.

David, can you pinpoint where interrupts are re-enabled after the
JMP $DE00 ?  I am sincerely thankful for your interest and effort.