[comp.sys.apple] virus detection within applications

Jim Elliott writes:

>It's possible to make a program quite virus-savvy and tricky in
>detecting and warning about infection... But it quickly becomes a game
>much like copy protectors versus copy programs, a vicious circle of
>increasing sophistication.
>
>For this reason, I think it might be a good idea to talk as little as
>possible about whatever virus protections we install in our programs.
>Let them exist there silently until their alarms go off and they
>protect a user. If we can avoid getting the virus writers interested
>in and challenged by our programs, we'll be better off.

On the other hand, anybody purposely infecting your program with a
virus is going to find out about your protecting pronto-style anyway,
so you might as well let everybody know up front.  My guess is that
the few people who get their jollies out of infecting things on
purpose would simply move on to a different program and not bother
trying to circumvent even simple checks, unless they've got
something against you personally.

I think it would be a good idea for a title screen or simple command
to do a length check and/or a checksum on the program file and
display a message in either case:  "This copy of XYZZY appears to be
intact." or "Warning: This copy of XYZZY may have been tampered
with."

> Jim Elliott                     /    ...!seismo!uunet!steinmetz!crd!elliott
>                                /            userE2U7@rpitsmts.BITNET
> "Don't look, son, it's        /      Jim_Elliott%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu [school]
>  a secular humanist!"        /  (or)     elliott@ge-crd.arpa       [work]

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

elliott@glacier.steinmetz (08/03/88)

In article <8808030126.aa00910@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> Dave Lyons writes:
>I think it would be a good idea for a title screen or simple command
>to do a length check and/or a checksum on the program file and
>display a message in either case:  "This copy of XYZZY appears to be
>intact." or "Warning: This copy of XYZZY may have been tampered
>with."

Yes, I agree, Dave. And this simple, announced check is far far better
than no check at all (especially if the reason that no checking is
done is because I am working on my whizz-bang secret anti-virus
arsenal, which is not quite working yet but any day now...)
Nonetheless I think a secret check, maybe that does not always get
executed, is a good idea in addition.

As for the former idea, though, I am planning to write me a little
Davex external command for virus checking, and put it in my autoexec
file. I will post it to the net if nobody has already posted a similar
program by the time I get around to it.

--------
>--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
>  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317