[comp.sys.apple] Advise on disk drives / UCSD Pascal

skb@usl.usl.edu (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) (08/04/88)

[ I am posting the following message on behalf of a friend who does not have
access to network. ]

I have a copy of UCSD Pascal with the book telling me how to use it.  However,
I have to keep on changing the diskettes in the drive to edit, compile, and
execute the programs I write.  To make the matters worse, I have to transfer
files across the diskettes because compiler, editor, and execute files are on
different floppies.

I am a new user of this system.  My system's configuration includes a 5-1/4"
drive, a 3-1/2" drive, a printer besides the CRT.  Can someone over the net
advise me if I can buy a hard drive for my system and how much will the approx.
cost be for such a drive?  Will it help me if I have such a drive, especially
in the context of UCSD pascal?  Or will it be better if I go in for another
5-1/4" floppy drive?

Is there any way to use my existing system without having to change floppies
all the time?

I'll appreciate receiving a reply by e-mail since I do not read this group very
often.

Shammi Gupta

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (08/05/88)

In article <398@usl.usl.edu> skb@usl.usl.edu.UUCP (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) writes:
>[ I am posting the following message on behalf of a friend who does not have
>access to network. ]
>
>I have a copy of UCSD Pascal with the book telling me how to use it.  However,
>I have to keep on changing the diskettes in the drive to edit, compile, and
>execute the programs I write.  To make the matters worse, I have to transfer
>files across the diskettes because compiler, editor, and execute files are on
>different floppies.
>
>I am a new user of this system.  My system's configuration includes a 5-1/4"
>drive, a 3-1/2" drive, a printer besides the CRT.  Can someone over the net

You don't need a hard drive. Just copy everything off of the distribution disks
onto one 3.5" inch disk. It all fits. This will solve your constant disk-
swapping woes. You will, though, probably have to use a 5.25" for your work
files, as all the system crud with UCSD takes up most of the directory space
on the 3.5". Even though the disk itself is far from full, you can't really
store more than ten or so files on it.

David Whitney, MIT '90                   DISCLAIMER: Nobody knows what I'm up
{out there}!harvard!think!whitney         to. Don't blame them for my actions
whitney@think.com                         nor me for theirs.
^^^^^ will be changing before 1989 is here. Don't depend on it after 1/1/89.

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (08/05/88)

If you have Apple PASCAL v1.3, and the controller for your 3.5 drive is in
slot 5 or 6 (assuming a //e), the entire Apple PASCAL system will fit on a
800K disk, with lots of room left for programs. If you don't have v1.3, you
can't use the 3.5 drive with Apple PASCAL.

Couldn't reply via e-mail, as you requested, since your article didn't contain,
**within it**, a return address.