[comp.sys.apple] the perfect telecommunications program

A1T@ECL.PSU.EDU (Andy) (08/05/88)

I'm looking for a really good communications program. Right now, I use
3 or 4 different ones, depending on what i'm doing, because each has
its specific strengths and weaknesses. Here are the features I'm looking
for:

-Really good VT100 emulation (Kermit is good enough for me on this)
-Ascii, xmodem, ymodem, zmodem file transfer (Here z-link or TIIre good.)
-Easy-to-enter commands (here, i think z-link is the best)
-Easily modified data word format (again, z-link seems to be the best)
-kermit file transfer (kermit is the only program i have used which supports
   this)
-macros (i guess TIC or z-link are good on this one, but i haven't done
   a lot with them)
-Shareware or freeware (all are equal here, although Kermit is cheaper)
-Ability to execute Prodos or dos commands (none really have this)
-Ability to run under dos 3.3 or prodos (kermit is the only one i've seen)
   or at least save files under either system
-Ability to use the /RAM volume if under prodos (TIC doesn't let me)
-should quit to dos (kermit does this... i hate the 'enter prefix')
-Should be able to view or print any file (z-link has view, others may)

and of course all the normal modem pgm stuff, like sending breaks, a copy
buffer, auto linefeed selection, etc.

Does such a program exist!?!?!? Actually I'm watching the Z-link development
very closely since it seems to be getting there... but i usually use kermit
(I am now). what's this about kermit 3.84??

Andy Tefft

cscbrkac@charon.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble) (08/05/88)

Andy Tefft writes:

> I'm looking for a really good communications program. Right now, I use
> 3 or 4 different ones, depending on what i'm doing, because each has
> its specific strengths and weaknesses. Here are the features I'm looking
> for:
>
> -Ascii, xmodem, ymodem, zmodem file transfer (Here z-link or TIIre good.)

Woooah, back up.  Who has implemented Zmodem for the Apple?  This is the first
I've heard of this.

> [Lots of other features deleted]
>
> Does such a program exist!?!?!? Actually I'm watching the Z-link development
> very closely since it seems to be getting there... but i usually use kermit
> (I am now). what's this about kermit 3.84??

I use ProTERM.  Yes, I know it isn't shareware, but I think it's worth the
price:

*  It does support VT100 (has a problem wrapping the screen in vi but fine
   otherwise).  Also supports several other popular terms, and has its own
   proprietary mode that supports Mousetext and simple music generation.

*  It handles file transfers in ASCII, Xmodem (vanilla, DOS, and ProDOS
   flavors), Ymodem, Kermit, and Transit<?>, and does them in file, batch,
   Binary II, or disk (DDD/PBH compatible) format either uploading or
   downloading.  The only thing I wish it had is Zmodem.

*  Easy commands, and lots of 'em, with fairly powerful macros (though
   AE-Mousetalk has it seriously beat in the macro department -- much more
   room).

*  Easy access to ProDOS commands (copy files, rename, format disk, delete
   files, create subdir, easy directory traversal, etc.)

*  Views and prints TXT and APW files (and edits 'em, I'm using the builtin
   editor to compose this post).

It does have some things that would be disadvantageous to you -- the VT100
bug, it's not shareware and doesn't support DOS 3.3, you can't access /RAM
(it uses 44K for a copy/edit buffer and the rest for scrollback, up to your
full capacity, whether you like it or not :-().  It also doesn't "quit straight
to DOS" (I think you mean automatically dive back to BASIC.SYSTEM) but it uses
the QUIT code properly and comes with a more intelligent "next-program"
selection interface -- if there's not a vector set where to go when you exit
the program, it lets you select where to go via menu.  This is hacked into the
ProDOS on the ProTERM disk.

I've noticed most ProDOS-based shareware term programs don't support my modem
(an AppleCat II 212 system that I have no intention of replacing with some
wimpy external modem -- I'm eyeing the DataLink 2400 though) so I bought
ProTERM.  I'm VERY happy with it and wouldn't consider changing back to
anything less powerful.  If you're willing to actually buy a terminal program
and have an enhanced //e or greater, you should definitely consider it.

--
    Lazlo Nibble /\/oo\/\    |   Call Lair Of The Beast BBS: +1 505 268 4804
   cscbrkac@charon.unm.edu   |         "Where Wankies are Welcome"(TM)

tucker@unocss.UUCP (Gregory A. Tucker) (08/07/88)

From article <8808042349.aa28340@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by A1T@ECL.PSU.EDU (Andy):
> I'm looking for a really good communications program. Right now, I use
> 3 or 4 different ones, depending on what i'm doing, because each has
> its specific strengths and weaknesses. Here are the features I'm looking
> for:
>
> -Really good VT100 emulation (Kermit is good enough for me on this)

ATP by has the best VT100 emulation that I am aware of.  According to
the author, ATP will support all vt100 functions that the hardware will
allow.

> -Easy-to-enter commands (here, i think z-link is the best)

ATP gets my vote!

> -kermit file transfer (kermit is the only program i have used which supports
>    this)
> -macros (i guess TIC or z-link are good on this one, but i haven't done
>    a lot with them)

Macros?  ATP's specialty, besides its excellent terminal emulation.

> -Shareware or freeware (all are equal here, although Kermit is cheaper)
> -Ability to execute Prodos or dos commands (none really have this)
> -Ability to run under dos 3.3 or prodos (kermit is the only one i've seen)
>    or at least save files under either system

Why would you want anything to do this?  It would be just as easy to
use a copy program, such as Copy II+, to transfer between the two.

> Does such a program exist!?!?!? Actually I'm watching the Z-link development
> very closely since it seems to be getting there... but i usually use kermit
> (I am now). what's this about kermit 3.84??
>
> Andy Tefft

Too bad Z-link runs only on enhanced //es, since it sound like I am
missing out on a good thing.  Oh well.  I am using Kermit for file
transfers and ATP for everything else.  At this point ATP is incomplete
and the printer options don't work on my machine, but it seems to have the
most promise for my needs.  Andy, I think you are looking for ProComm.
Unfortunately, it runs on PC compatibles...

"Look at the pictures taken by the camera, they cannot lie.
 The truth is in what you see, and not what you read..." -The Jam

--
 ------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Gregory A. Tucker- Consultant | Internet: conslt05%zeus.dnet@fergvax.unl.edu

elliott@glacier.steinmetz (08/08/88)

[In reading this, be aware that I am biased; I wrote ATP]
In article <367@unocss.UUCP> tucker@unocss.UUCP (Gregory A. Tucker) writes:
>From article <8808042349.aa28340@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by A1T@ECL.PSU.EDU (Andy):
>> I'm looking for a really good communications program. Right now, I use
>> 3 or 4 different ones, depending on what i'm doing, because each has
>> its specific strengths and weaknesses. Here are the features I'm looking
>> for:
>>
>> -Really good VT100 emulation (Kermit is good enough for me on this)
>
>ATP by has the best VT100 emulation that I am aware of.  According to
>the author, ATP will support all vt100 functions that the hardware will
>allow.
Thanks! :) From what I have heard, Z-Link does emulate all the VT100
commands that you are likely to need. I can't imagine being satisfied
with Kermit as a terminal emulator, though, Andy. The systems you call
must not take advantage of many VT100 features.

>> -Easy-to-enter commands (here, i think z-link is the best)
>ATP gets my vote!
It's so nice to have user support!

>> -macros (i guess TIC or z-link are good on this one, but i haven't done
>>    a lot with them)
>Macros?  ATP's specialty, besides its excellent terminal emulation.
Well, I'll be the first to admit my macros are rather cryptic. But
they are powerful.

>> Does such a program exist!?!?!? Actually I'm watching the Z-link development
>> very closely since it seems to be getting there...
>>
>> Andy Tefft
You might want to watch ATP as well. Both programs seem to be growing
towards very similar ends, though starting from rather different
directions. I don't know if any program that fully matches your
(rather demanding, if I may humbly say so as a developer) list of features
will ever be written. I for one am not planning to ever support DOS 3.3,
since I never use it, and do not consider it useful. Most of the other
things you mentioned either already exist in ATP or are targeted for
inclusion.

When you mention that a terminal program should "quit to DOS" then say
that Kermit does this, you're actually being a little misleading;
Kermit runs under BASIC.SYSTEM, and simply quits to that. Some of us
do not use BASIC.SYSTEM; there are much better command shells out
there (like Davex). If you are running one of these, when you quit
from a ProDOS application (like a terminal program) you automatically
get sent back to the command shell. It's very nice; you might want to
investigate them.

>Too bad Z-link runs only on enhanced //es, since it sound like I am
>missing out on a good thing.  Oh well.  I am using Kermit for file
>transfers and ATP for everything else.  At this point ATP is incomplete
>and the printer options don't work on my machine, but it seems to have the
>most promise for my needs.  Andy, I think you are looking for ProComm.
>Unfortunately, it runs on PC compatibles...
>
> Gregory A. Tucker- Consultant | Internet: conslt05%zeus.dnet@fergvax.unl.edu
> Campus Computing              | Bitnet:   CONSLT05@UNOMA1
> Univ. of Nebraska at Omaha    | UUCP:     uunet!btni!unocss!tucker

Yes, I may enhance my system soon myself. Z-Link does sound like a
good program, and I should try it out sometime (to see what other
things are missing from ATP... :^)   I, too, use Kermit for transfers
and ATP for everything else. I'm looking for a good pseudo-code
description of Kermit so I can include it as a segment.

Gregory, when you said ATP was incomplete, did you mean that you had
not yet received your registered copy? Or do you just mean that it is
incomplete in the sense of being a program in which the author still
has interest and plans for extension? If, having received your
registered copy, you still have problems with your printer, please
send me e-mail about it so I can look into fixing them...

Right now I think it's time to write initial versions of a capture
buffer, a file viewer, maybe a simple editor, and XMODEM transfer.
I'll probably write a simple version of a ProDOS command shell soon
too, since it looks like the link to Davex is on hold indefinitely.

       "how can they hear me say those words
	and still they don't believe me
	and if they don't believe me now
	will they ever believe me?"

	-The Smiths, "The Boy With the Thorn in his Side"

 Jim Elliott                       /    ...!seismo!uunet!steinmetz!crd!elliott
                                  /            userE2U7@rpitsmts.BITNET
 "Don't look, son, it's          /      Jim_Elliott%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu [school]
  a secular humanist!"          /  (or)     elliott@ge-crd.arpa       [work]