[comp.sys.apple] CyberAIDS does NOT infect PRODOS

>Date:         Sat, 6 Aug 88 19:47:30 PDT
>From:         Physical T5--Virtual T7 <craparotta%kyoa.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM>
>Subject:      Clints Message

>>One of the most devious virus attempts I have seen is a 'virus
>>eliminator' that supposedly looked for CyberAIDS (supposedly
>>written by Tom E. Hawk) in SYS files and 'destroyed' it.  [...]
>>**** The program itself installed CyberAIDS in the PRODOS file.
>>Quite nasty, eh?  I suggest writing thy own virus debuggers! ****
>>Clint Fleckenstein ("SpyroGyra")
>>NU132271@NDSUVM1.BITNET

>If you all look at the last sentence, it states that the Program itself
>installed the VIRUS. I'd interpet that itself as a Virus... If you don't
>like my interpetation, tough.. That's what makes the World go round...
>Joe

The scenario as presented is not possible.  CyberAIDS can *NOT*
infect the PRODOS file; only other SYS files.  CyberAIDS attaches
itself to a SYS file and executes *BEFORE* the other SYS file.  If
CyberAIDS tried to infect PRODOS, it would execute *before* ProDOS
had installed itself.  The MLI calls CyberAIDS makes to ProDOS (JSR
$BF00) would fail, almost certainly crashing the machine immediately
on boot and alerting the user that something was wrong.

I think we need to be very careful to get facts straight before
accusing anyone of bad deeds.

If you have a copy of the virus eliminator that allegedly infected
your program, please send a copy of it to someone in a position to
check it out:  Open-Apple (UNCLE-DOS on GEnie, or U.S. Mail), or me
(E-mail or U.S. mail), or Morgan Davis (posted a virus clenser
recently himself & I can vouch for his character!).

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233