[comp.sys.apple] VT100 emulation

plate@dicome.UUCP (Douglas B. Plate) (05/18/87)

In article <8705141127.aa11671@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> it is written:
>Does anybody out there know of a ProDos-based modem program that
>is capable of XMODEM or the Christiansen protocol?  How about an
>XMODEM that is hooked in with a VT100 emulator in either ProDos
>or DOS 3.3?

(sorry, my personal reply didn't make it back to the sender so I posted)

I use Apple Access II which does emulate a VT100 and sends/receives
in the Christiansen (XMODEM and Christiansen are the same thing)
and also will capture and send plain ascii.  I like it alot.
I have used it to communicate with the company VAX from home and it
acts pretty much like the VT131 in my office.  I got it for ~$75
at the Apple dealer and I think I have gotten my money's worth.
Oh yeah, it is PRODOS based.

		Doug Plate

2FZ1SILE@UKANVAX.BITNET (09/27/87)

Softerm II has a number of terminal emulations available as part of its package.
I have used it to connect with a VAX in SOROC, Hazeltine and VT52/100 emulations
and they all seemed to work fine.

Scott Strange
Kansas University

donp@tekfdi.TEK.COM (Don Primrose) (10/08/87)

In article <8709280140.aa25258@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> 2FZ1SILE@UKANVAX.BITNET writes:
Is Softerm II compatable with an Apple II+ ? If so, what company markets it ?

Don P.

rec@cpesac.UUCP ( bob chapman ) (01/06/88)

	I have recently purchased Modem Manager for the Apple IIe
from MGR Software in Anaheim, CA.  This looks like a good piece
of software and supports DOS 3.3 and PRODOS.

	The software emulates the DEC VT52 terminal but lacks
emulation for the VT100/102 terminals.  Does anybody out
there in net land have a quick dirty listing of the differences
in control characters between the VT52 and the VT100?  Thanks in
advance.

							Bob Chapman
							cpesac!rec

V066EDD9@ubvms.BITNET (Dan Harkavy aka Komix-Kid aka Lillanthar Fartraveller of the Gatecrafter's Guild) (01/08/88)

AS to the question ov VT100 vs VT52 emulation

According to Don Elton, who among his other projects has put out a
telecommunications program, there are too many differences between the two
terminal types to have such compatibility.  The VT52 apparantly uses binary
codes to drive the screen while VT100 uses ASCII codes.  I do not have more
details.

The only apple program that I know of that does VT100 emulation is
Sorterm //, by Softronics.  This program is fairly expensive ($150 +/- a bit)
and requires an attachment from softronics to operate.

It works very well, BTW< as that is what I use most of the time...

Dan Harkavy
V066edd9@ubvms

BHUBER@ECLA.USC.EDU (01/09/88)

I understand ProTerm (version 2.0) will complete beta by end of January 1988
and include a robust VT100 emulation.  Two exceptions to full emulation are:
no support for oversized characters and no support for 132 character width.
No hardware required for emulation; this is a communications package for the
][ or // or II or whatever suits your fancy computer line.  Not sure of
projected list price, but I believe earlier ProTerm versions went for about
$125 (list, mailorder discounts considerably lower).

Be sure you get version 2.0 or later if you want VT100, though.

Bud

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (01/09/88)

Someone recently mentioned that SOFTERM had VT100 terminal  emulation.  This
is true, but beware. The last time that I saw the product it came on a 5 1/4
floppy and was heavily copyprotected. This has nothing to do with the terminal
emulation of course but can certainly make life miserable. Kermit380 has
VT100 emulation. The docs that I have only list about four function keys.
However, I have managed to emulate all of the Function keys that OU's mainframe
calls for by pressing Escape and the corresponding key at the top to the
keyboard.  For instance, PF1 is Escape 1 and PF11 if Escape -. Please excuse
me  if the terminology here is incorrect, as I am unfamiliar with the differanc
es between PF and Function keys, etc. I've been using Kermit380 for a few
months now and except for the lack of a good TRAP mode have been extremely
pleased with it. At it's price (free) it's definately worth trying first.

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/09/88)

Softerm II does indeed emulate a VT100 (I'm using it to do so now), but the
emulation seem to extend only thru function key PF4. Procedures are listed to
produce PF5 thru PF12, but on my ][e, at least, the present version of
Softerm II (v2.53) doesn't produce them. It does, however, allow working in
full screen XEDIT mode on an IBM mainframe. Softerm II also emulates many
other terminals.

A new version is said to be under development. It is thought that this new
version may overcome some of the present lacks of Softerm II: Not ProDos
based (although it can send and receive ProDos files [as well as PASCAL,
DOS 3.3, and CP/M], not compatible with 3.5 disks, does not use additional
RAM. The hardware attachment is really a convenience, since open-apple
and closed-apple will replace two of the three special function keys, while
the third can be simulated with a utility supplied with Softerm II.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

V066EDD9@ubvms.BITNET (Dan Harkavy aka Komix-Kid aka Lillanthar Fartraveller of the Gatecrafter's Guild) (01/09/88)

For Softerm the PF1-PF4 keys are (s3)1-4 respectively, (s3) being one of the
three shift keys.  the remainder of the keypad is done using (s2)(s3)# where
# is the keypad number, or the +,-,or . key.  I'm not sure if that is what
Mr. Halpern means as far as the keyboard emulation, but thaat matches the
functions that I need.

DJH

Actually, a real DEC VT-100 can emulate a VT-52, either by being
set up to do so when powered on, or upon receipt of the appropriate
escape sequence.  The binary-vs-ASCII code idea is all wet.
The VT-100 in ANSI mode uses sequences such as ESC [ H to home
the cursor while the VT-52 code is ESC H.  The only place one
could say that "binary" is used for the VT-52 is in its cursor
positioning sequences, which include row and column coordinates
as their numeric value plus an offset (to map them out of the
set of ASCII control codes).  The ANSI sequence for this would
instead use digit characters to spell out the numbers.

In article <8801090336.AA18917@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU> halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
>Softerm II does indeed emulate a VT100 (I'm using it to do so now), but the
>emulation seem to extend only thru function key PF4.

I wish I knew where you guys get your ideas about the VT-100,
which for example only has 4 PF keys.

In article <7017@brl-smoke.ARPA> I wrote:
>... the VT100, which for example only has 4 PF keys.

I should have said, only 4 "function" keys, since it has no
programmable keys.  (Only its answerback is programmable.)

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/10/88)

Here is some info on this topic from one who KNOWS... :-)

VT100 is a terminal which supports a cross set of ANSI control sequences.
This is a standard terminal set of Escape sequences which perform many
sophisticated functions (open a series of blank lines, scroll a portion
of the screen, display misc types of highlighting, etc.).  ANSI terminal
emulation is a SUPERSET of VT52.  That is, it includes as a portion of the
standard the capability to emulate a VT52.

The VT52 was one of the early terminals which could do cursor addressing.
Almost all of the sequences to open new lines, etc. are a single control
character.  Thus, the number of useful things that VT52 can do are quite
limited (about15-20).

The VT52 is MUCH easier to emulate than a VT100 since the pgm only has to
scan for the single control character.  The ANSI escape sequences sometimes
can be dozens of characters long!  If you have line noise, it can cause
problems in that a sequence is misinterpreted.

Saying all of this, let me mention 3 alternatives.  Kermit 3.80 has a VT100
emulation mode.  I STILL have not gotten a version to work on my GS; when
I do, perhaps I will remember to let you know how good it is at 2400 baud.
DCOM is a product being sold (at one time the author read this group) which
is supposed to be quite a Good VT100 emulator.  And finally, ProTerm 1.9
something is available and has a reportedly pretty good VT100 emulator.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) (01/10/88)

In article <> V066EDD9@ubvms.BITNET (Dan Harkavy aka Komix-Kid aka Lillanthar Fartraveller of the Gatecrafter's Guild) writes:
>AS to the question ov VT100 vs VT52 emulation
>The only apple program that I know of that does VT100 emulation is
>Sorterm //, by Softronics.  This program is fairly expensive ($150 +/- a bit)
>and requires an attachment from softronics to operate.

The attachment is required for the older version of Softerm from
several years ago, and was intended for 64K Apples.  It used a plug-in
board.  The newer version, called Softerm IIc, operates on 128K
systems, and uses an OPTIONAL plug-in switch aray that goes into the
joystick game port in back.  It has 3 switches on it, 2 of which are
the same as the open-apple and closed-apple buttons.  The 3rd. button
is really not necessary, so I don't use the plug-in.  It works on the
Apple //e with the extended 80-column card, any aux memrory card, and
on the IIGS.

It does a very good VT100 emulation.  It is available from Programs
Plus for about $150; it lists for more.
--
					-dave

David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!

griswof@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Griswold Frank Steele) (01/10/88)

DCOM claims to be a nice VT100 emulator. try your local bbs, or wherever
 you find shareware.
 -- or ucbvax!sdcsvax!hayes    (Jim Hayes: author)

CAVEAT: I haven't tried it (yet). But I'm mighty tired of vt52 at 1200 baud!
any day now, when I get the time....
			frank griswold
			griswof@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
		       (soon to be griswolf@...: aint being a student fun?!)

mkao@pnet01.cts.COM (Mike Kao) (01/10/88)

ProTERM 2.0 also emulates the VT100, along with a host of other terminals.

To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!

                                                                  -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/11/88)

Softerm II v.2.53 does come only on a double sided 5.25 inch disk. However, it
is not copy protected.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/11/88)

Sorry for the sloppy terminology. I should have said function key (more
specifically lower function of each keypad key, I suppose).

dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) (01/11/88)

In article <> CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:
>Someone recently mentioned that SOFTERM had VT100 terminal  emulation.  This
>is true, but beware. The last time that I saw the product it came on a 5 1/4
>floppy and was heavily copyprotected. This has nothing to do with the terminal
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've used Softerm II since earlier versions (1.33) up to the present,
and they have never, to my knowledge, been copyprotected at all.  They
all copy with a standard FID or CopyII "copy disk" procedure.

They do use a custom DOS, I assume for the file transfers that they
do, and thus it won't work with a high-speed DOS substitute.
--
					-dave

David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (01/11/88)

  I keep reading all these questions about VT 100 emulation and wonder where
the problem is.
  I've been using Kermit with no real difficulty.  I have an Apple IIGS with
an Apple Personal Modem connected to the modem port on my GS.  I was able
to get it by uploading it from Apple2-L as a text file using a capture
buffer with Mousetalk.  After a couple of questions answered by Murphy
Sewall, it was installed and working.  The function keys are easily
emulated using a section of the keyboard along with the open-apple
(cloverleaf) key.
  I'm still using version 3.79 because I've been too lazy to upgrade and I've
also been waiting until I hear that the mouse support is worth the trouble.
In the meantime, aside from a few inconveniences because of the keyboard
layout, I find it a pleasure to use.  (The most serious lack I find is the
lack of macros which would enable me to automatically log on.)

In article <411@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>ANSI terminal emulation is a SUPERSET of VT52.  That is, it includes
>as a portion of the standard the capability to emulate a VT52.

It certainly does not!  I left my ANSI 3.66 (I think) specs in my
other office, but I've spent too much time dealing with terminal
characterizations to misremember something as important as this.

The DEC VT-100 did include the capability for switching into and
out of VT-52 emulation mode, but by no stretch of the imagination
is this part of the relevant ANSI standard.  There are many ANSI-
conforming (or -compatible) terminals that don't include any VT-52
emulation at all.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (01/13/88)

Blush!  As soon as I read Doug's response I realized that I somehow was thinking
ANSI when I MEANT VT100-ish; I dont know HOW I did that (phone interruption,
stupidity, whatever).

I humbly apoligise and PLEAD for your forgiveness.  My PC350, doing VT100
emulation, also supports VT52 emulation.  When comparing the two sets of sequences,
the VT100 sequences are called ANSI sequences.  There are also a set of VT100
sequences that the DEC doc refers to as VT52 emulation sequences.  I have not
ANY idea whether a REAL, off the shelf vt100 actually emulates a VT52 - SOME
vt100 emulation products may also emulate vt52, vt220, and heaven knows what
else.

I slink away, chastised...

sigh.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
cbosgd!n8emr!lwv (UUCP) 	cbosgd!n8emr!lwv@PSUVAX1 (BITNET)
We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

ccasths@pyr.gatech.EDU (Scott Hinckley) (06/14/88)

I seem to remember someone posting that they have written a VT100 emulator
for the Apple][ series.  If this person is you, could you please mail me sooome
info on how I could get a-hold of it?
With the mainframes here it is nearly impossible to get anything accomplished
unless you have a computer with a full-screen mode.
Thanks in advance,

+=======================================================================+
|Scott Hinckley - OCS User Assistant    AKA - Galaxy's End              |
|Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332                 |
|uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!ccasths|
|ARPA: ccasths@pyr.gatech.edu                                           |

22149853@WSUVM1.BITNET (Duane Wessels) (08/08/88)

I just noticed that Kermit 3.84 attempts to simulate VT100 emulation better
by displaying certain text in inverse.  For what I use Kermit for, this is
extremely annoying.  Does anyone know of an easy way to disable this?

Otherwise, I can keep on using version 3.79....

Duane Wessels
   Bitnet : 22149853@WSUVM1