[comp.sys.apple] MouseTalk 1.5

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.COM (Morgan Davis) (08/10/88)

Here are some comments from United Software Industries, Inc. on the recent
discussions about MouseTalk version 1.5:

> CS-ID: #2621.apple/net@pro-sol 5324 chars
> Date: Tue,  9 Aug 88 08:32:41 PDT
> From: pnet01!crash!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!neighbor (Jeffrey Alan Ding)
> Subject: Re: The perfect telecom program
>
>>> -Ability to execute ProDOS commands
>>> *  Easy access to ProDOS commands (copy files, rename, format disk, delete
>>>    files, create subdir, easy directory traversal, etc.)
>
> With Mousetalk you can view a file, delete, rename, catalog, and volumes on
> line.  Someone said it has no online command.  These commands were always
> present.

Indeed.  You can also format any sized disk for data storage and remain
online.

>>> *  Views and prints TXT and APW files
>
> You can view TXT but not APW

You can view TXT and SRC filetypes (in other words, APW source files).  In
addition, you can edit SRC files in the full screen editor, as well as send
them as if they were TXT-type files.

> One neat thing:  On the disk they include BLU by Floyd Zink, a type changer
> program written in basic.  I think this is the same one posted to APPLE2L
> a long time ago.  And some type of file editor runable from ProDOS16.

The ProDOS 16 super-hires program is File Fixer, a modern day version of the
ancient AE Pro CHFORM utility.  It allows you to strip/set high-bits,
strip/add linefeeds, expand/unexpand tabs and spaces to any sized column,
filter control codes, and remove nulls off the ends of binary files.

> If you have an older version of Mousetalk, you can upgrade for $25 bucks.
> | arpanet: neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                                    |
> |    UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!csd4!neighbor                                    |
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upgrades from MouseTalk 1.2 to 1.3 were free, but updating from any version
to MouseTalk 1.5 is $25 (plus $2.50 for shipping and handling) and your old
MouseTalk master diskette.

> CS-ID: #2624.apple/net@pro-sol 680 chars
> Date: Tue,  9 Aug 88 08:32:53 PDT
> From: pnet01!crash!eglin-vax.arpa!forde (MAJ ERIC S. FORD)
> Subject: Mousetalk 1.5 printer problem
>
> Have any of you MouseTalk users been having  problems with your printers no
> longer working?

A known bug is a parity configuration problem on the Apple IIc.  This has
been fixed.

> One of my co-workers was describing a problem with MouseTALK using a
> Pro-Grappler + Epson FX-80.  It seems he cannot get MT to print correctly.
> If he changes the installation to either a generic parallel or firmware
> driver he gets one line then the printer hangs.  With it installed for a
> Pro-Grappler he gets no errors but nothing prints at all.

In the process of converting MouseTalk 1.3 from ALDS under CP/M to the Apple
Programmers Workshop the Grappler printer drivers were not imported
correctly.  This problem has been reported and is being resolved.  But, if
you have a Grappler+, the Firmware Printer driver selection will work just
fine.

> I suggested he contact the user support folks but offered in the meantime to
> query the folks on this net.
>
> Eric
> FORDE@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA

This is the best thing to do whenever you encounter problems.  Most problems
are known, and solutions exist.  To get immediate attention, just call United
Software toll free at 800-33-ASCII, or if you're calling within California
dial 818-887-5800.

Thank you for reading,

--Morgan Davis

    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis