[comp.sys.apple] perfect telcom prog/Quit to DOS

>Date:         Thu, 4 Aug 88 23:51:00 EDT
>From:         Andy <A1T@ECL.PSU.EDU>
>Subject:      the perfect telecommunications program

>[...]
>-should quit to dos (kermit does this... i hate the 'enter prefix')
>[...]

The closest thing to "quit to DOS" under ProDOS is exactly what TIC
and Z-Link and zillions of other programs do:  a ProDOS "QUIT" call.
This does *not* necessarily result in the "enter prefix of next
application" and "enter pathname of next application" screen, which
I must agree is one of the most annoying things ever invented.

So what do you do?  Get a program launcher such as ProSEL, ECP8, or
Davex.  Then you will be automatically returned to your program
launcher when you quit from any well-behaved ProDOS application,
*instead* of seeing the enter prefix/enter pathname screen.

Kermit quits to DOS 3.3 or to BASIC.SYSTEM under ProDOS.  It seems
pretty clumsy to me to have ProDOS Kermit *not* be a SYS file and to
have it run under BASIC.SYSTEM.  I would rather have two separate
versions--one DOS 3.3 and one ProDOS.  The ProDOS version should be
a SYS file and would load faster because it wouldn't require
BASIC.SYSTEM or the extra code to support DOS 3.3 in the same file.

>Andy Tefft

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317
  BITNET: AWCTTYPA@UIAMVS
  CompuServe: 72177,3233
  GEnie mail: D.LYONS2

delaney%wnre.aecl.CDN@ean.ubc.ca (08/08/88)

David the one thing to remember about kermit is it's origin.  Kermit stems
from DOS 3.3 and a heritage that allows it to be run under either Dos 3.3 or
PRODOS and on all APPLES II to IIgs.  While I agree that wee should all be
trying to run under PRODOS there are still a lot of apple II and II+ with out
the 64K necessayr to run Prodos.  It's nice to see that support is still there
for these people.  As well TED MEDIN has written this as FREEWARE that has
evolved over a number of years and a rewrite would require considerable effort.
 Do I hear a someone offering to do it and provide continued support out of the
goodness of his hart as TED has.

On the point of going back to a Launcher such as Davex.  I find it a real
problem with kermit.  Davex uses an external Catalog command which Kermit does
not know and causes Kermit to dump me into the monitor.  Secondly if your
down loading the files to /RAM5 like I often do it is nice to find your self
in the correct place to EXEC the files with out finding them end up in your roo
disk as they do with a BASIC.SYSTEM call from davex or having to reset the
the prefix after a basic call in ECP8.

Both DAVEX and ECP8 or 16 are great as they give you the extensions that are
missing from PRODOS but each has it's limitations and on my IIgs at least TED
MEDIN has built in a VT100 emulator thats works with anything on the VAXs I
work through from our MICRO VAXES right through to or 6230 and better yet than
any comercail program I've seen yet it configures the GS keypad to match a
VT100

Grant

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (08/08/88)

Another things about ATP that bugs me - it's quit code.  So many pgms return
to the command interpreter that I use (ECP8) but ATP forces me into a cute
little menu pgm (is that Byrd's better bye?).  I would prefer to use whatever
is already selected.  I think CIS Vidtex (prodos version) is the same way.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

elliott@yosemite.steinmetz (08/10/88)

In article <609@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>Another things about ATP that bugs me - it's quit code.  So many pgms return
>to the command interpreter that I use (ECP8) but ATP forces me into a cute
>little menu pgm (is that Byrd's better bye?).  I would prefer to use whatever
>is already selected.  I think CIS Vidtex (prodos version) is the same way.

Actually, this is not true; you can always do a standard ProDOS quit
by hitting OA-Ctl-Q. This is documented, but I guess it is one of
those things you mentioned that are difficult to find. (Similarly,
once you are in the Quit segment, you can do the same by hitting
Ctl-Q).

I don't know what you mean by "Byrd's better bye", but the quit code
you ran into is an ATP segment which I wrote. (Note the way it
interacts correctly with the window manager.)

When I wrote it, I had never seen a command shell, and I thought the
"Enter Prefix" garbage was part of a SYS application, not ProDOS (the
QUIT call was implemented AFTER my copy of the ProDOS technical
reference manual). The code is a vast improvement over the standard
Quit. But now that I have Davex I realized that I might WANT to just
do a ProDOS Quit. Hence the OA-Ctl-Q command. (Thanks to Dave Lyons
for explaining how to make it work.)

>Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
>674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
>osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)	osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (INTERNET)
>We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

 Jim Elliott                       /    ...!seismo!uunet!steinmetz!crd!elliott
                                  /            userE2U7@rpitsmts.BITNET
 "Don't look, son, it's          /      Jim_Elliott%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu [school]
  a secular humanist!"          /  (or)     elliott@ge-crd.arpa       [work]