[comp.sys.apple] command shells, patching programs

>Date:         Tue, 9 Aug 88 03:29:00 EDT
>From:         Andy <A1T@ECL.PSU.EDU>
>Subject:      more perfect telecom program

>About quitting: No, I don't want to use a shell like ECP or davex.
>That's just as inconvenient as the 'enter prefix' because I only have
>one drive here, the built-in, and i'd have to switch disks. I'm not a
>fan of switching disks (the main reason I want to use the /ram
>volume).

I don't have a block count on ECP for you, but a minimal Davex
environment will cost you under 50 blocks.  Plenty of room left on
your 5.25 drive.  Or you can run Davex from /RAM if you want.

>[...] why does prodos have to try and be so *&%#$ user-friendly! (i
>take it too many of you were brought up on prodos and therefore don't
>know how nice it is to be able to quit a program, jump into the
>monitor and change something (with the mini-assembler in ROM) and
>then start the program back up, without having to load a command
>shell, or any external programs, or anything.

I typically wouldn't want to trust any changes I made in the monitor
while a program was running, not if the data I was working with was
important.  From Davex or ECP, "mon" gets you in the monitor.

I *do* visit the monitor & other utilities while programs are
running (without even quitting them), but I do it on a IIgs where
several CDAs are available to do the job.  (Just hit Apple-Ctrl-ESC
at almost any time and have "Visit Monitor" or Nifty List available;
resume the application right where it left off.)  Generally I'm just
browsing rather than making patches on the fly!

[Note that I wrote Davex and Nifty List--my comments about them may
not be completely unbiased.]

>Andy

--David A. Lyons  a.k.a.  DAL Systems
  PO Box 287 | North Liberty, IA 52317