[comp.sys.apple] 36K+ ProDos Editor

oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) (08/08/88)

I have a small problem.  I currently own AE Mousetalk (1.5) and sometimes
have problems editing lengthy comp.binaries.apple2 files (500+ lines).  The
editor is only 36K and so I cannot load some of the files into memory to
modify them (case in point.  David Whitney goofed on  his Zlink post and needed
the last line to be changed. Not easy because it was a 600 line post).  I don't
mind exiting mousetalk but  I don't even have any ProDos Word processors that
will do the trick.  I have FreeWriter but it is bound by about 30K also.  I have
Appleworks but that tends to severly mangle any executioner files (it puts a
space in every line of text around character 60 when the margins are srt back
to 0 inches on either side.)

    Are there any inexpensively priced word processors that will do the trick.
I can transfer my files to DOS 3.3 and use Applewriter II if necessary but it
is not my program and so I hesitate in using it).  I know ProTerm has a 44K
editor but I don't really want to shell out another $120 just for an editor.
Any recommendations?

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| oliver@thelink.UUCP |AT&T (219) 291-8343| GEnie K.SUMNER [Joel]          |
| (Joel Sumner)       |----------------------------------------------------|
|USnail 1505 Sheffield Ct. | It is always darkest before the lights go out |
|      South Bend, IN 46614|                                               |
!--------------------------------------------------------------------------!

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (08/08/88)

I have given up on finding even an EXPENSIVE word processor for this purpose!
The only one that looked like it had any potential was either Appleworks
or Word Perfect - and those are way to much overhead (cost, startup, etc.)
for my interests.

Here is whta I have done - there are two programs that have been posted
to comp.binaries.apple2/apple2-l which break up a file into pieces.  Since
I am using ECP8, I break the files into 4 pieces, edit the last piece, then
append the pieces together!  Sigh - all I want is a virtual memory line
editor - I dont NEED full screen, etc.  I would LIKE to have it - but I
am willing to just have all of ed's power and a virtual memory arrangement
so that not even 32k lines or 1024+ character lines are a problem.

Anyone finish porting mg , micro emacs, stevie to the Apple II?

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

rich@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Rich Sims) (08/09/88)

>I have a small problem.  I currently own AE Mousetalk (1.5) and sometimes
>have problems editing lengthy comp.binaries.apple2 files (500+ lines).  The
>editor is only 36K and so I cannot load some of the files into memory to
>modify them (case in point.  David Whitney goofed on  his Zlink post and
>needed
>the last line to be changed. Not easy because it was a 600 line post).  I
>don't
>mind exiting mousetalk but  I don't even have any ProDos Word processors that
>will do the trick.  I have FreeWriter but it is bound by about 30K also.

FreeWriter will handle any size text file!  You need to load the file in
segments, specifying the starting 'marker' as follows:

     CTRL-L myfile!marker_text!

That causes the file to be loaded starting at 'marker_text' and loading until
memory is full of the end-of-file is reached.  If you only want to load a
part of the file, you can specify both a starting and ending marker.

     CTRL-L myfile!starting_marker!ending_marker!

That loads the file from 'starting_marker' and loading until 'ending_marker'
is reached (unless you run out of memory or reach the end-of-file first!).

NOTE:  The '!' symbols in the examples are the text delimiters.  You aren't
       restricted to using that, other characters/symbols will also work, as
       long as they are not included in the delimited text itself.  You can
       do some interesting tricks using various delimiter characters.

To save a file larger than available memory, save the first segment normally:

     CTRL-S myfile

Then save all subsequent segments with the same filename, but add a '+' after
the filename:

     CTRL-S myfile+

Answer 'yes' when you're asked if you want to delete the old file.  This will
cause FreeWriter to save the segments by appending them to the existing file.

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeffrey Alan Ding) (08/09/88)

In article <160@thelink.UUCP> oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) writes:
>I have a small problem.  I currently own AE Mousetalk (1.5) and sometimes
>have problems editing lengthy comp.binaries.apple2 files (500+ lines).  The
>editor is only 36K and so I cannot load some of the files into memory to
>modify them (case in point.  David Whitney goofed on  his Zlink post and needed
>the last line to be changed. Not easy because it was a 600 line post).  I don't
>mind exiting mousetalk but  I don't even have any ProDos Word processors that
>will do the trick.  I have FreeWriter but it is bound by about 30K also.  I have
>Appleworks but that tends to severly mangle any executioner files (it puts a
>space in every line of text around character 60 when the margins are srt back
>to 0 inches on either side.)

I just finished working on several DAVEX external commands that I will post
soon.  They can help in dealing with large files.  One of them, called
"WC", will do a line count.  Another, called "SPLIT"  will split up any file
into a separate file or the screen.  You specify a starting and ending/length
in either bytes or lines.  Another is "COMBINE" which will let you combine
files of any type back together again once split up.  These commands all work
from the shell which is really nice.  (That is if you own the shell.)

Sometimes I forget to get rid of the UUCP headers on downloaded files from
Comp.binaries.apple2.  Now I can use SPLIT to split off the section of the
file without the headers.  I can use the DAVEX command FIND to find what
line number the CALL-151 starts on.  I could also find what line number
the E00G starts on.  Then I could split off the section inbetween.

(In the case of the Zlink.  You could have split off everything except the
last line and then appended on the new line with either ECHO or COMBINE.
Since Zlink is so large he had to split it up and put it back together again
using the B parameter in BASIC.  My split/combine programs would work
perfect for that.  Unfortunately not everyone owns DAVEX so this would probably
never become a standard.)

>    Are there any inexpensively priced word processors that will do the trick.
>I can transfer my files to DOS 3.3 and use Applewriter II if necessary but it
>is not my program and so I hesitate in using it).  I know ProTerm has a 44K
>editor but I don't really want to shell out another $120 just for an editor.
>Any recommendations?
>
>Thanks

Well I vowed I would start working on a TEXT editor for ProDOS.  I think that
it will be my next project.  It will emulate VI and include many features
known to APPLEWORKS  (open-apple commands).  First I will make a fully memory
resident program.  I think I can make a 80k editing space.  This program
will require 128k machines.  After that I will work on a virtual.

I don't plan on making it Shareware.  It will be FREE.  (why bother with
money.  I program for fun.)

So if all you dudes can wait,  Hopefully I'll get this out in a few months.

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

P.S.  Look for my new DAVEX externals (4 of them! Total of 8!)

| arpanet: neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                                        |
|    UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!csd4!neighbor                                        |

McAllister@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (08/10/88)

From:Richard McAllister<McAllister at DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
Subject:Re: 36K+ ProDos Editor

How about a BASIC program which manages ProDOS text files on a IIc,
enhanced IIe, and perhaps easily modified for a IIgs?  The features
are:

* Reads files 20K at a time and advances using M(ore) command.
* Reads segments of files by specifying first and last line numbers.
* Writes or appends segments to another output file
* Reports on number of lines and bytes read
* Excerpts (copies) blocks of text to output file (e.g. /RAM)
* Screen editor for viewing, composing, and modifying text. (good but
  not a word processor) (40 or 80 column)
* Takes care of BASIC garbage collection
* Catalog/Prefix and some other ProDos commands
* Printer Listings

If interested send inquiries via E-Mail.