[comp.sys.apple] tests of zlink, kermit and atp - bugs, suggestions, VT10X codes

elliott@glacier.steinmetz (08/14/88)

In article <1183@netmbx.UUCP> blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:
>ok, i kinda figured out what kermit, z-link and ATP are capable of
>as far as the vttest prgm allowed. i also tested these three and
>more terminal programs regarding the maximum bps rate they can keep up with.
>of course i added some suggestions of mine where i considered them
>appropriate.
Thanks a lot. The copy of VTTEST I used to have access to went down
with Brazil (an AT&T 3B2/300 we owned that suffered a hard disk crash
last summer) so I can't use it any more. Does anyone know how I can
get a new copy of the source?

Anyway, your comments about ATP:
>- TAB set/reset doesn't work
This is strange; I implemented it, and it used to work. I will have to
look at it again. Without VTTEST I can only test it against DEC's
specs, though, which may not be fully accurate.

>- doesn't respond to 'request terminal parms'
I admit you have me stumped here. What is the format of this request,
and what should the response be? It's not documented in my DEC
terminals handbook.

>other (possible) bugs of all:
>- when backspacing over inverse input lines inverse spaces get printed
>   instead of normal ones
I'm not sure what you mean by this one.

>- seems that when leaving prgms while staying online IRQs don't get
>   disabled sometimes - cause system error 1 if data comes in :-(
This seems to be a bug in the Super Serial Card hardware. I know that
ATP >does< turn off interrupts (and the card in general) when it
leaves, but occasionally if I do something strange with the modem I do
get that system error. Any ideas what to do about this? If I'm in
Davex I can just hit RESET and everything is OK.

>- the answer-back-message cant be set and won't be sent of course.
Do you know of anything that uses this feature? I haven't implemented
it because it's not documented for a vt100, and I can't imagine it is
terribly useful.
>some suggestions for future version of terminal programs:
>- selectable mapping of bold, underlined etc to normal/inverse.
I am already planning to do this when I implement the VTSET segment.

>- use mousetext for 'text graphics', i.e. apples for diamonds etc.
There does not seem to be a very good mapping of VT100 graphics onto
MouseText. I am playing with this idea but it has lower priority than
some things.

>- printer support {cant test if thats implemented at the moment}
I'm kind of leary about this idea. I don't really trust printers, and
I don't like the idea of line noise being able to spew garbage out my
printer port.

>- support VT102 functions (z-link does!)
If someone would please send me a list of the VT102 function codes and
what they do, I will be happy to put support for them in ATP (provided
there is enough free space to fit them).

>Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
>Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume
>D-1000 Berlin 22, West-Germany # Phone : (+49 30) 365 55 71 or ... 365 75 01
>Telex : 183008 intro d         # Fax   : (+49 30) 882 50 65

Anyone who can answer some or all of my questions--please try to send
me mail at userE2U7%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu or userE2U7@rpitsmts.BITNET. I
am leaving GE to go back to school (actually on exchange to Williams
College) in two weeks, so the above addresses are safer.

 Jim Elliott                       /    ...!seismo!uunet!steinmetz!crd!elliott
                                  /            userE2U7@rpitsmts.BITNET
 "Don't look, son, it's          /      Jim_Elliott%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu [school]
  a secular humanist!"          /  (or)     elliott@ge-crd.arpa       [work]