[comp.sys.apple] tests of zlink, kermit and atp - Tab set and reset

elliott@yosemite.steinmetz (08/15/88)

In article <25727@think.UUCP> whitney@godot.think.com.UUCP (David Whitney) writes:
>In article <1183@netmbx.UUCP> blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:
>>zlink is next !
>>- TAB set/reset doesn't work

>OK, I have to point out a few things. First, it seems you have an
>older version of Z-Link. Of the above bugs reported, the following
>have been fixed and distributed in the last version (7/31)
>-TAB set/reset does work

Similarly, Heiko reported that Tab set/reset did not work in ATP. In
fact, it does. The problem is a bug in VTTEST which I had encountered
before and forgotten about.

When VTTEST is compiled on some versions of UNIX, it fails to
configure the TTY driver to send Tab characters transparently. So the
UNIX machine converts the Tabs to eight spaces, and the terminal
program never sees them, nor gets a chance to show that it correctly
advances to the next tab stop. Even real, live VT100s "fail" this test
on these machines. Someone was kind enough to send me a new copy of
the vttest source (unfortunately, all the information my mailer gave
me was "zz1ml%sdcc3@UCSD.EDU" so I don't know who to thank) and I was
pleased to be able to watch ATP still pass with flying colors (and
iron out some kinks in the pseudo-graphics characters). The Tab
set/reset test does work right in SunOS (Berkeley UNIX).

(The way I originally tracked down this problem, as I was tearing my
hair out, trying to figure out why ATP did the tab set/clear right
when I tested it by hand, but not in VTTEST, was to launch the TEST
segment of ATP and watch the exact character sequences that were being
sent me.)

 Jim Elliott                       /    ...!seismo!uunet!steinmetz!crd!elliott
                                  /            userE2U7@rpitsmts.BITNET
 "Don't look, son, it's          /      Jim_Elliott%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu [school]
  a secular humanist!"          /  (or)     elliott@ge-crd.arpa       [work]