[comp.sys.apple] UCSD Pascal advice

muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller) (08/20/88)

In article <398@usl.usl.edu> skb@usl.usl.edu.UUCP (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) writes:
>I have a copy of UCSD Pascal with the book telling me how to use it.  However,
>I have to keep on changing the diskettes in the drive to edit, compile, and
>execute the programs I write.  To make the matters worse, I have to transfer
>files across the diskettes because compiler, editor, and execute files are on
>different floppies.
>I am a new user of this system.  My system's configuration includes a 5-1/4"
>drive, a 3-1/2" drive, a printer besides the CRT.  Can someone over the net

Unfortunately the UCSD P system files do use lots of disk space.  In fact,
it is a truism that you really need two 5-1/4" drives to use it easily.
There are some things you can do though.  Remove everything you don't need
from your main system disk.  You can also make several different copies of
the root volume disk, which contain different files.  The system generally
doesn't care if you swap disks that contain the same name (exception:  if
you have two or more drives, never have two of tha same name online, and
when you are reading a file from the editor and it asks you to re-insert
the original editor disk, then it has to be the same one).

--
    - Jim Muller