[comp.sys.apple] Whats wrong with my IIe

kmeis@drutx.ATT.COM (Kevin J. Meis) (08/16/88)

My Apple IIe refuses to work properly.  When I turn it on the entire screen
turns white, then changes to black and finally I get a message that says
Kernel OK.

It then locks up.  Resetting turns the speaker on and the sequence repeats.

Pointers to the problem and what I can do to fix it would be much appreciated.

I have some hardware backgroud.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin Meis
att!drutx!kmeis

rfischer@skat.usc.edu (Roger Fischer) (08/17/88)

In article <8492@drutx.ATT.COM> kmeis@drutx.ATT.COM (Kevin J. Meis) writes:
>My Apple IIe refuses to work properly.  When I turn it on the entire screen
>turns white, then changes to black and finally I get a message that says
>Kernel OK.
>It then locks up.  Resetting turns the speaker on and the sequence repeats.

The problem is that your closed-apple paddle button is stuck and the //e
thinks that you are running the self test.  The self test is invoked by
typing a Ctrl-CA-reset.  The CA is seen on boot and the self test is started.

Try cleaning out the keyboard, and also check the switch with an
ohm-meter. You might get lucky and have it fixed easily.

Roger
-----

barak@lakesys.UUCP (Mark Litscher) (08/18/88)

In article <8492@drutx.ATT.COM> kmeis@drutx.ATT.COM (Kevin J. Meis) writes:
>My Apple IIe refuses to work properly.  When I turn it on the entire screen
>turns white, then changes to black and finally I get a message that says
>Kernel OK.
>
>It then locks up.  Resetting turns the speaker on and the sequence repeats.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Kevin Meis
>att!drutx!kmeis

To me it sounds like you have a unplugged keyboard (how that might have
happend I have no idea) when the keyboard is unplugged as soon as youu turn
the computer on it goes into a continuous self test loop. This might be the
problem but then again it might be somthing else.

Mark Litscher                       |  You want it when???
barak@lakesys.UUCP                  |
{ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!barak |

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan M Cavero) (08/18/88)

In article <8492@drutx.ATT.COM> kmeis@drutx.ATT.COM (Kevin J. Meis) writes:
>My Apple IIe refuses to work properly.  When I turn it on the entire screen
>turns white, then changes to black and finally I get a message that says
>Kernel OK.
>
>It then locks up.  Resetting turns the speaker on and the sequence repeats.
>
>Pointers to the problem and what I can do to fix it would be much appreciated.
>
>I have some hardware backgroud.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Kevin Meis
>att!drutx!kmeis

That really doesn't sound like a major hardware problem.  The Apple II
does an automatic RESET upon powerup.  However, if you press RESET while
holding the solid apple key down, you invoke the selftest routine, which
works as you describe.  Either something's pressing down on your joystick
buttons (which are the same as the apple keys), your buttons are locked on
(that happens a lot with old joysticks when the buttons die), or your
keyboard is messed up.  The first two sound a lot more likely to me.

Ivan

[This line to fool Pnews]
[This line to fool Pnews]
[This line to fool Pnews]
[This line to fool Pnews]
[This line to fool Pnews]
[This line to fool Pnews]
[This line to fool Pnews]
[This line to fool Pnews]

maddie@crash.cts.com (Tom Schenck) (08/20/88)

In article <6715@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan M Cavero) writes:
>In article <8492@drutx.ATT.COM> kmeis@drutx.ATT.COM (Kevin J. Meis) writes:
>>My Apple IIe refuses to work properly.  When I turn it on the entire screen
>>turns white, then changes to black and finally I get a message that says
>>Kernel OK.
>>
>>It then locks up.  Resetting turns the speaker on and the sequence repeats.

  That sounds like your keyboard is diconnected, or possibly defective in some
  way/shape/form, but it is most likely a simple keyboard-related problem.
  Try checking both ends of the keyboard cable, then, if that doesn't work,
  I would suggest bringing the machine in to a shop for a diagnostic test, and
  nothing more if you want to fix it yourself.
--

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!maddie
ARPA: crash!pnet01!maddie@nosc.mil

Disclaimer : The only company who's thoughts are my own is owned by me.

Tom Schenck, member 52nd Street Development Team.