[comp.sys.apple] Fido <---> UUCP Gateways

I didn't see your query about Fido gates until after I returned from
vacation.  This is the most recent information I'm aware of.
-----------------------------Original Message---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 22 Jun 88 17:13:28 EDT
From:         Bill Fenner <psuvax1!psuhcx!wcf@RUTGERS.UUCP>
Subject:      Fido <> UUCP Gates updated 6/22/88

Fido Networks reachable from Bitnet/Internet/UUCP
Last updated 6/22/88

List created by wcf@psuhcx.bitnet, also sysop@hogbbs.uucp, a soon-to-be
gateway.

Net      Node              UUCP Name
-----   -------         ---------------
104    104/ 56        milehi.ifna.org
105     105/ 55         casper.ifna.org
105    105/ 14        busker.ifna.org
107    107/320        rubbs.ifna.org
109     109/661        blkcat.ifna.org
125    125/406        fidogate.ifna.org
128    128/ 19        hipshk.ifna.org
128    128/ 31        ve1arc.ifna.org
129    129/ 65        insight.ifna.org
134    105/302        castle.ifna.org
138    105/302        castle.ifna.org
140    105/302        castle.ifna.org
143    125/406        fidogate.ifna.org
152     105/302         castle.ifna.org
161    125/406        fidogate.ifna.org
263    263/ 42        hogbbs.uucp (not official yet)
340    105/302        castle.ifna.org
342    105/302        castle.ifna.org
343    105/302        castle.ifna.org
344    105/302        castle.ifna.org
369    369/17,369/0     megasys.ifna.org  *NOTE* I'm assuming that
                        megasys is gatewaying

This was obtained via the UUCP maps.

Now, you say, this is all very nice, but how do I send to a node in one of
these nets other than the gateway itself?

Ah! I say, this is where it gets sticky.

There are 2 methods of running a message through a gateway - the old way
and the new way.

The old way was way back when before the domain .ifna.org came into being,
and you would address your message to gateway![[[zone!]net!]node!]user_name.
What do all those brackets mean, you say?

They mean that you can send to gatkway!node!user if the node you want to
send to is in the same network as the gateway, or gateway!net!node!user if
the gateway is in the same zone as the node you want to send to... (I pity
the gateway runner who allows different zone gatewaying...)

The new way is to send to gateway!fnode.nnet.zzone.ifna.org!user_name
So, for example, if I wanted to send to the sysop at 1:104/32, I would send to
milehi.ifna.org!f32.n104.z1.ifna.org!sysop.  If your mailer is set up properly,
you should be able to just send to f32.n104.z1.ifna.org!sysop.

By the way... these addresses are all on UUCP.  If you're not on UUCP, use
your favorite gateway (I can't tell ya how, ask someone else...) (well I could,
but that's not the purpose of this document.)

If I missed anything, shoot me... but first drop me a line.

Bill Fenner
wcf@psuhcx.bitnet
wcf@hcx.psu.edu
psuvax1!psuhcx!wcf
Sysop at 263/42

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

** I've been on vacation for two weeks; still catching up with the mail **