Date: Tue, 15 Aug 88 19:16 MDT
From: Christine M. Gianone <SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing the End of CU20B

This will be the final issue of the Info-Kermit Digest that is sent from our
last DEC-20 (once a fleet of four).  DEC-20s were important to the original
development of Kermit -- much of the protocol was designed "around" them, one
of the first Kermit programs was written for the DEC-20, and the DEC-20 style
of "user interface" is found in many popular Kermit programs -- MS-Kermit,
CP/M Kermit, C-Kermit, etc.

Kermit's new "home" will be on CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, a VAX 8700 running
UNIX (Ultrix).  The IP host number is 128.59.40.130.  You should be able to
get files from it with anonymous FTP, just as you did from CU20B, except that
now you're talking to a UNIX, rather than TOPS-20, FTP server.  The Kermit
files are in directories kermit/a, kermit/b, kermit/c, kermit/d, and kermit/e.
You can also send mail to Info-Kermit and Info-Kermit-Request at the new
address.

The process is roughly like this: FTP to CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, login
anonymous, any password, and then CWD (or CD) to kermit, which contains a
file read.me, which you should read.  Then CWD (or CD) to a, b, c, d, or e
and GET or MULTIPLE GET (or MGET) the files you want.  The AA*.* files are
still DEC-20 oriented, but will be updated soon.  Report problems to
info-kermit-request@CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU.  Also, remember that Columbia's
Internet host numbers changed on August 15th, as announced in the last
Info-Kermit Digest, so if you have trouble connecting, try using CUNIXC's
host number 128.59.40.130, instead of the host name.

Since CUNIXC is a heavily-used machine, please try not to FTP files from it
during peak hours.  There are presently no formal restrictions, so please
don't overburden the system.  If the response is very slow, cancel your
session and try again later.

During a brief transition period, CU20B will continue to house the Kermit
files, so if you have problems with CUNIXC, you can still return to "old
faithful".

To order by mail, request a complete list of Kermit versions and an order
form from Kermit Distribution, Columbia University Center for Computing
Activities, 612 West 115th Street, New York, NY 10025 USA.

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

** I've been on vacation for two weeks; still catching up with the mail **