[comp.sys.apple] Diversi-Tune demo

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET (08/17/88)

Has anybody managed to unpack the demo that went over Apple2-L?  When I
exec'ed the files, I got three .qq sqeezed files, and when I tried to
unsqueeze them with BLU (2.28), I got an "Illegal pathname error" or
something to that effect.

Bill Dickson
DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET

CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (08/22/88)

>When I tried to unsqueeze the resulting files, BLU gave me an "Invalid Pathname
>Error".  Any idea what's wrong?
>
>Bill.
I get this same error.  Anyone know what's wrong??

Chris

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET (08/22/88)

Okay, I got it to work.  I saw one solution posted here this morning, but this
may be simpler for those of you with USQ2.  Unsqueeze the .QQ files with USQ2,
NOT BLU.  You must specify the full pathname of both the packed and unpacked
files.  For example:

/RAM5/TUNE.1.QQ, /RAM5/TUNE.1

After you have unsqueezed the .QQ files, extract the files within them with
BLU.

The demo is VERY impressive;  I may just buy the program now.  But it's also an
argument for a standard practice of using BLU to first squeeze, then pack
files.  Thanks to Grant Delaney (sp?) for his help.

Bill Dickson
DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET

Todd_A._Bakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (08/23/88)

Sorry about the squeezing of Diversi-Tune.  As Bill Dickson surmised,
I did use sq3 and usq2 without giving it too much thought.  He has it
right, and future submissions will be done via BLU.

     Todd A. Bakal                        ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM
     U of M Apple User's Group                       -- Ted Nelson (1974)
     Ann Arbor, Michigan
     ARPA: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu        BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUM

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (Dave Harvey) (08/23/88)

>>When I tried to unsqueeze the resulting files, BLU gave me an "Invalid Pathname
>>Error".  Any idea what's wrong?
>>
>>Bill.
>I get this same error.  Anyone know what's wrong??

>Chris

The solution is that the file must first be unsqueezed with the old Unsqueeze
Utility by Don Elton, then BLU can be used on the file to un-bunny it.  That's
what I did to process the file.  There might be an easier way, but I haven't
found it.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv
uucp: {ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pro-novapple!daveharv
arpa: crash!pro-charlotte!pro-novapple!daveharv
int: pro-charlotte!pro-novapple!daveharv
Northern Virginia Apple Users Group >pro-novapple< 703-671-0416/300-2400 baud

mtkst@cisunx.UUCP (Michael T. Krupp) (08/25/88)

In article <8808211702.aa10913@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> CHRIS@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) writes:
>>When I tried to unsqueeze the resulting files, BLU gave me an "Invalid Pathname
>>Error".  Any idea what's wrong?
>>
>>Bill.
>I get this same error.  Anyone know what's wrong??
>
>Chris

Yes, BLU must unsqueeze a file to the pathname it was squeezed from.  If
the .qq file came from a subdirectory and that subdirectory does not exsist
then BLU will give you 'an illegal pathname' error ofcourse.

You can try two things. First try BLUing the .qq files back together and
then using BLU2.28 (must be v2.28) extract the files; it is important to
note that the order of the .qq files must be correct and also when extracting
Binary2 files, BLU2.28 automaticaly unsqueezes any .qq files.

If that doesn't work try using a text editor, a short basic program, or
OA-J from TIC, to look at the first few bytes of the .qq files.  You should
be able to see the pathname and thus, the name of the missing subdirectory.

Boot basic, CREATE the subdirectory on the same disk that you have the .qq
files (make sure you DON'T PUT THE .qq FILES IN THE SUBDIRECTORY YOU JUST MADE)
and now use BLU to unsqueeze those buggers.

BTW- I didn't dl the DEMO posted to the net, I have it from another source.
But, my copy is in a subdirectory called DIVERSI.DEMO so that may be the
missing subdirectory name.  Try it you'll like it.

Evan Ron Aussenberg  <mtkst@cisunx / mtkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh ...not for long>