[comp.sys.apple] {640,320}x400 resolution

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/04/88)

In article <8040@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@ely.UUCP (Subash Shankar) writes:
>Current (substantiated) rumors say that the GS+ will have a 640X400 4 color
>and 320X400 16 color mode.  ... they are probably interlaced.

Unless Apple is willing to require extremely expensive monitors,
they would have to use interlacing.  It will be nice to get those
ugly dark scan line gaps filled in.

>Then again, I can't think of a use of these modes ...

Excuse me, but the main reason I haven't been spending much time
programming my IIGS is that all my interesting applications need
much better resolution than 200 vertical.  If you can't think of
uses for a frame buffer then you're not very imaginative..

shankar@srcsip.UUCP (Subash Shankar) (09/06/88)

In article <8428@smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <8040@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@ely.UUCP (Subash Shankar) writes:
>>Then again, I can't think of a use of these modes ...
                                                    ^^^

>Excuse me, but the main reason I haven't been spending much time
>programming my IIGS is that all my interesting applications need
>much better resolution than 200 vertical.  If you can't think of
>uses for a frame buffer then you're not very imaginative..

If the whole original sentence had been quoted, it would have been
clear that what I was saying was that an interlaced mode with high
vertical resolution is of limited uses except when doing paint-program
type graphics and for games.  With interlaced screens, unless you
get a high persistence monitor (read $$$), the resulting flicker
makes it hard for prolonged uses of applications involving text and
business graphics, which probably have heavy use of fine lines.

I wish that the GS had more vertical resolution, but I would rather
have something between 200 and 400 in a noninterlaced mode rather then
400 in interlaced mode.  Off course, if your intention is to do graphics
and art work, the interlacing doesn't matter that much.