[comp.sys.apple] confusion

bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Bob Sherman) (09/07/88)

I am very confused. A month or so ago, Apple released GS system disk 3.2 with
Prodos 8.1.6 among other things on it. It came with over 100 pages of changes,
fixes, new additions etc.

Then last week, Apple released Apple system disk 3.1, saying it was the
latest, and it contains Prodos 8.1.5 among other things, and contains less
than 2 pages of information...

What am I to conclude??? I suspect that this new disk is for the non-GS Apple
machines, but I wonder why it only contains Prodos 8.1.5. Am I to assume that
for some reason 8.1.6 should not be used on non-GS machines??

I can just picture the confusion this will cause at dealers when Apple owners
ask for the latest system disk updates..

Does anyone out there in net land have any further information that can shed
some light??

UUCP: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc.mil
INET: bsherman@pro-exchange.cts.com

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/08/88)

In article <8809071500.AA25451@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc.mil writes:
>I am very confused. A month or so ago, Apple released GS system disk 3.2 with
>Prodos 8.1.6 among other things on it. It came with over 100 pages of changes,
>fixes, new additions etc.
>
>Then last week, Apple released Apple system disk 3.1, saying it was the
>latest, and it contains Prodos 8.1.5 among other things, and contains less
>than 2 pages of information...

I don't think the dealers were issued System Disk 3.2 (yet).
System Disk 3.1 has been issued previously, with ProDOS-8 1.4 on it.
APDA later announced a "revised" System Disk 3.1 although I didn't
notice anything different about it.  Sounds like the "latest" System
Disk 3.1 has been issued ("released" may be too strong).  I don't
think anybody understands how Apple numbers their System Disks.