[comp.sys.apple] BEACH.COMBER, BASIC.SYSTEM

>Date:         Tue, 6 Sep 88 03:15:34 GMT
>From:         Heiko Blume <mcvax!unido!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!blume@UUNET.UU.NET>

>here are some very annoying facts:

>- Glen Bredon[']s compressor (included with instant pascal) works only
>  on volumes <= 10MB - i was shocked !

It sounds like you're talking about BEACH.COMBER, which is part of
Glen's ProSel package.  (I know nothing about Instant Pascal...if
BEACH.COMBER is distributed with that, it's news to me.)

There *is* a version of BEACH.COMBER that works with bigger volumes,
but it requires some extra RAM--I don't remember how much.  If you
own ProSel, contact Glen Bredon for the latest update (although the
bigger version of BEACH.COMBER is *not* particularly new...maybe a
year old or so?).

>- basic.system
>        why the hell does DEL not work ?
>        'cd' or 'pre' instead of prefix

If you want to delete a file, it's DELETE rather than DEL.  Or maybe
you're talking about the Delete key.  It doesn't work because
BASIC.SYSTEM uses the ROM's GETLN routine, and the ROM on the //e
doesn't take the trouble to treat Delete like Left-arrow.
(Solution: Get a IIgs!  :-)

If you want *convenient* commands ("cd" instead of "prefix", or even
simpler than that:  just type a directory name with no command) then
you want something like Davex, in my somewhat-biased opinion
(Shareware by guess-who).  BASIC.SYSTEM was designed to let
Applesoft programs written under DOS 3.3 to run with very little
modification under ProDOS--it wasn't intended to be a nifty command shell!

>Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
>Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume
>D-1000 Berlin 22, West-Germany # Phone : (+49 30) 365 55 71 or ... 365 75 01
>Telex : 183008 intro d         # Fax   : (+49 30) 882 50 65

--David A. Lyons              bitnet: awcttypa@uiamvs
  DAL Systems                 CompuServe:  72177,3233
  P.O. Box 287                GEnie mail:    D.LYONS2
  North Liberty, IA 52317     AppleLinkPE: Dave Lyons