[comp.sys.apple] System Disk 3.2

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (08/29/88)

Saw a mention that there is a version 3.2 of the GS System Disk.  Does
anyone know what the changes from 3.1 are?  is it even legit?

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ARPA

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (09/01/88)

In article <880829145415.780886@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>Saw a mention that there is a version 3.2 of the GS System Disk.  Does
>anyone know what the changes from 3.1 are?  is it even legit?
>
>TMPLee@Dockmaster.ARPA

Quite legit. I got mine from APDA last week. Finder is now at v1.1
(big deal - looks the same to me). New tool sets including ACE (Audio
Compression and Expansion) and other sound stuff. Docs also tell how
to use the new sets. Old sets have been updated (read: debugged).
They've done some cute stuff to speed up booting somewhat. They claim
to kill off 8-10 seconds. Since I don't use my 3.5" to boot, I
wouldn't know - hard disk booting is pretty quick. Prodos 8 and 16 are
now at version 1.6 (dated June 88). Basic.system is at 1.2. If you
have APW, it is a good idea to also get the interfaces updated. One
can buy v1.0.1 of the interfaces for $10 each for C and assembler.
Note that the software itself is still at 1.0, so those who have 1.0
don't need to buy the $30 update to 1.0.1 as the only new stuff will
be the interfaces.

I believe that the 3.2 update is $18.50 or thereabouts.

David Whitney, MIT '90                   DISCLAIMER: Nobody knows what I'm up
{out there}!harvard!think!whitney         to. Don't blame them for my actions
whitney@think.com                         nor me for theirs.
^^^^^ will be changing before 1989 is here. Don't depend on it after 1/1/89.

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/01/88)

In article <880829145415.780886@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>Saw a mention that there is a version 3.2 of the GS System Disk.  Does
>anyone know what the changes from 3.1 are?  is it even legit?

Yes, there is a V3.2 of the IIGS System Disk.  However, it is not
available through your AppleDealer (tm) but only via APDA.  The
Finder has been updated and it includes MIDI, ACE, Note Sequencer,
LaserWriter LQ, and networking support.  The LaserWriter support
is much improved.

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (09/01/88)

in article <880829145415.780886@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>, TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA says:

> Saw a mention that there is a version 3.2 of the GS System Disk.  Does
> anyone know what the changes from 3.1 are?  is it even legit?
>
> TMPLee@Dockmaster.ARPA

Yes, GS system disk version 3.2 is official. It was released over a month
ago along with well over 100 pages of dox outlining the changes, bug fixes,
new additions etc.. Included with it are the new versions of Prodos, a new
finder, new loader, new tools, and lots more.
--

  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (09/01/88)

    Date:  1 September 1988 02:57 edt
    From:  lakesys!jason at CSD1.MILW.WISC.EDU (Jason)
    Subject:  Re: System Disk 3.2

    > Saw a mention that there is a version 3.2 of the GS System Disk.  Does
    > anyone know what the changes from 3.1 are?  is it even legit?

              3.2 is definatly (excuse misspelling - it's very late) legit. The
    biggest "user-noticeable" change is the menu cache: The first time you pull
    down a menu after it's been changed, it's slow, like it was before. From
    there on out (or until it gets changed again), the menu drops down pretty
    quickly... There's also a sound compression tool, and some other stuff I
    can't remember at the moment (remember, it's late!).

              The "non-legit" thingie floating around at this point is the "leaked"
    beta version of GS/OS (which quite definitely exists...).

              Jason

    ---

    Jason - Not your average iconoclast  |  UUCP: uwvax!uwmcsd1!lakesys!jason
    "Draw on the walls, eat, get laid - back in the good old days" - R. Waters

Tnx to those who responded to my original query about 3.2.  This one
response prompts another question -- does the menu acceleration
(caching) only work with Apple's menus (e.g., in the Finder) or does it
also work with other applications that use the Toolbox?  I'm interested
because WordPerfect (2.1 beta) for the GS is using more and more of the
built-in toolbox routines but unfortunately because it is doing so some
things actually work slower (and some funcionality is lost) than when
they were rolling their own.  In particular, the menus used to be drawn
from top to bottom, but now that they are also using "pop out" as well
as "pull down" menus they for some reason have to be drawn bottom to
top, which, believe it or not at least psychologically slows things down
noticeably since you have to wait for the whole menu is drawn before you
can slide the mouse down to the item you want; when they are drawn top
to bottom you can start sliding the mouse down as fast as your hand will
go..

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ARPA

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (09/02/88)

Some folks on Compuserve have stated that thier user group has received the
disk since they have licensed Prodos for use within the group.  This is an
annual fee of $75 and grants the group the right to distribute updates to its
members.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

jockc@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Jock Cooper) (09/03/88)

In article <27216@think.UUCP> whitney@godot.think.com.UUCP (David Whitney) writes:
>In article <880829145415.780886@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>>Saw a mention that there is a version 3.2 of the GS System Disk.  Does
>>anyone know what the changes from 3.1 are?  is it even legit?
>>
>>TMPLee@Dockmaster.ARPA
>
>Quite legit. I got mine from APDA last week. Finder is now at v1.1
>   ...etc...

Probably the most noticeable difference is in the menu manager.  If your system
has enough ram (mine does at 768K) the menus are cached.  That is, they are
drawn only once, then saved.  Subsequent pull-downs are much faster, as it only
has to copy the saved image back.

ihnp4!killer!jockc

aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) (09/04/88)

I may be asking a question which has previously been answered, but here goes...

Is is true that the Apple IIgs System Disk 3.2 is ONLY available through
ADPA and for $18.00?

Aren't the Authorized Apple Dealers going to get this update, and will those of
us who don't belong to ADPA be able to make a copy of it?

If not, then why?  What's the big deal.  Aren't we entitled to the most
current version of the System Disk for our own Apple Computer?

ARPA: aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu        USMAIL: Donald Aehl
                                             3048 N. Frederick Ave.
                                             Milwaukee, WI 53211
                                             (414) 962-0413
UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!aehl    ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

mhamaoka@athena.mit.edu (Michael T Hamaoka) (09/04/88)

For those of you who are curious about getting System Disk 3.2, it
is currently available for download on GEnie (both as a whole and
in sections).  I've heard that's it's up on CIS as well.

  --> Mike Hamaoka
      (mhamaoka@athena.mit.edu)

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/04/88)

In article <6722@uwmcsd1.UUCP> aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) writes:
>Is is true that the Apple IIgs System Disk 3.2 is ONLY available through
>ADPA and for $18.00?

No, it's also available for downloading on GEnie.  Be warned that
if you want the whole thing (more than 600Kbytes) downloading it
may cost you about as much as getting it through APDA.

>Aren't the Authorized Apple Dealers going to get this update, ...

Apparently not.

> and will those of
>us who don't belong to ADPA be able to make a copy of it?

No matter where someone obtains it, it is licensed software
and you are supposed to abide by Apple's license agreement.

>If not, then why?  What's the big deal.  Aren't we entitled to the most
>current version of the System Disk for our own Apple Computer?

You're entitled to what you pay for, not to free maintenance and
support into the indefinite future.  I don't think $18 is much
at all for an entire new release of an operating system.

shankar@srcsip.UUCP (Subash Shankar) (09/04/88)

In article <6722@uwmcsd1.UUCP> aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) writes:

>Is is true that the Apple IIgs System Disk 3.2 is ONLY available through
>ADPA and for $18.00?

No

>Aren't the Authorized Apple Dealers going to get this update, and will those of
>us who don't belong to ADPA be able to make a copy of it?

I got mine from my friendly local neighborhood Apple dealer just two weeks
back.  You may have to talk to the right person though - most of the dealers
I called (to check if they had the system disk) gave widely varying estimates
(one even said another 6 months) about when they would have the disk
available.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (09/05/88)

1. I dont mind paying for something if it is giving me new functionality -
but if it consists of fixes of screwups by the company in the first place
then I consider THAT to be my right.  In this case, there ARE new functional
capabilities (with regard to the source capabilitys of the IIgs), so I would
be wiling to pay some upgrade amount.

2. The problem is that Apple is NOT sending the System 3.2 disks to the dealers.
Dealers who have them got them from someone other than Apple I have been told
by Apple employees.  Perhaps THEY ordered them from APDA - I dont know.
Or perhaps they have a license for Prodos.

Apple claims that since the 3.2 disk just has some minor fixes (!!) and no
real enhancements (except of course Appletalk, new sound tools, faster
booting, cached menus, etc., etc., etc. - 200 pages of updates or so I
understand!) that they arent going to 'bother' sending it to the dealers.
Instead, folks can get it from someone who has it or get it from APDA.

What is interesting about this last point is that Apple is on the verge (
perhaps to announce during Applefest) of taking APDA back over.  Now isnt
it interesting that the alternative to getting the free upgrades to OS
that Apple itself proudly pats itself on the back for is buying into an
organization that Apple is about to take over?  Seems like they sure will
get a nice boost with a lot of new members...

3. The 'reason' besides the above for not sending out 3.2 disk is that
another upgrade is coming.  I have talked to folks using 'smuggled' copies
of beta GS/OS version 2.0 and it supposedly isnt all that great anyways.
Slower than System disk 3.2, no multitasking, no really obvious new features,
etc.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)	osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (INTERNET)
We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

rich@pro-exchange.cts.COM (Rich Sims) (09/08/88)

Doug Gwyn, in response to the following:

  -- writes:

>You're entitled to what you pay for, not to free maintenance and
>support into the indefinite future.  I don't think $18 is much
>at all for an entire new release of an operating system.

Thanks, Doug... somebody needed to say that again!  Too many people think
that after they've gotten their system (for the lowest possible price), they
are _entitled_ to perpetual free service, support, and software upgrades!

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-exchange!rich || pro-exchange: 305/431-3203
ARPA: crash!pro-exchange!rich@nosc.mil          ||  300/1200/2400/9600 (HST)
INET: rich@pro-exchange.cts.com                 ||     login = 'register'

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (09/11/88)

Sorry guys, but this time I disagree (not that you really care).  In this
case, Apple has repeatedly stated in press releases, before user groups,
and on online services that OS upgrades would be available free.  Thus
a user should expect to get what they were promised.  If a company doesnt
want to make them free - then dont promise them that way.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)	osu-cis!n8emr!lwv@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (INTERNET)
We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (09/12/88)

I think Apple's policy is that you can get free copies of Apple System
Software (Apple II or Mac) by bringing in an original system disk to
your favorite dealer.  The dealer will copy the software onto your
disks for free.  If you want a new set of manuals and documentation as
well, you must purchase those for a small amount.

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG
-MECC, Technical Services

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (09/13/88)

Yes system disk 3.2 is a reality.  It's actually Prodos 16 v1.6.  The feature
that I noticed and wanted is the addition of ZONES to the printer chooser
menu.  SO now I can print out on the Laserprinter at work with my GS.  I really
haven't noticed any other significant changes.
NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET  Michael Steele  co-sysop of NCSU Apple Users BBS
10 meg Apple downloads(latest PD software), Tech/Pascal/PCP discussion
919-783-9010 (PC Pursuitable NCRTP)  Call today!  919-783-9010

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (09/13/88)

In article <998@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG> prw@meccsd.UUCP (Paul R. Wenker) writes:

>I think Apple's policy is that you can get free copies of Apple System
>Software (Apple II or Mac) by bringing in an original system disk to
>your favorite dealer.  The dealer will copy the software onto your
>disks for free.  If you want a new set of manuals and documentation as
>well, you must purchase those for a small amount.
>

>-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG
>-MECC, Technical Services

Paul is right. However, as I just found out today, dealers are not *REQUIRED*
to let customers copy the disks. It is merely suggested that they do this as
a courtesey. Some dealers may wish to try to make more money by offering only
the saleable package to the customer, and not the free copy.

It's kind of like: Apple can define 'suggested retail prices', but cannot
force a dealer to set certain prices on his/her products.

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                           pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                             decwrl/
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) (09/13/88)

I think it is time to quit worrying about GS system disk 3.2.. Today
Apple released GS System Disk 4.0, with over 100 pages of dox, and they
also released a 372 page GS-OS ref. manual..

These items will be available via APDA within a week, and also I expect at
Applefest (I will be there bright & early looking for it)..

--
  Internet  -- bsherm%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
  UUCP      -- {uunet!gould}!umbio!bsherm
  Miami's Big Apple  305-948-8000  1200 baud  24 hours  8 years online

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/13/88)

In article <518@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> bsherm@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Bob Sherman) writes:
>I think it is time to quit worrying about GS system disk 3.2.. Today
>Apple released GS System Disk 4.0, with over 100 pages of dox, and they
>also released a 372 page GS-OS ref. manual..

The rumor mill has it that all Apple IIGSes shipped after 01-Oct-1988
will have GS-OS bundled with them.