[comp.sys.apple] IBM 70 vs. Mac II

TMURPHY@wpi.BITNET (09/06/88)

If the prices are relatively equivilient, I'd say go for the Mac II.  It's
ability to run Unix, plus the relative standardness of NuBus, as opposed to
IBM's propriatary Micto Channel, probably give it an edge over the PCs.
And there are some good CADD packages available for it currently.

Tom

Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
                              Mechanical Engineering Dept.
BITNET:   TMURPHY@WPI
Arpanet:  tmurphy%wpi.bitnet@talcott.harvard.edu

griswolf@leela.cs.orst.edu (Frank Steele Griswold) (09/11/88)

In article <8809052044.AA11104@wpi.local> TMURPHY@wpi.BITNET writes:
>If the prices are relatively equivilient, I'd say go for the Mac II.  It's
>ability to run Unix, plus the relative standardness of NuBus, as opposed to
            ^^^^^^^^\
		     \----Have YOU tried running UNIX(tm) on the Mac??
\\ We have here a dedicated MacII with AUX (I think) which NO ONE USES. On
\\ the other hand, we have a networking package which makes the mac into a
\\ vt100 for the other Unixoid machines, and it is used A LOT. Surely some of
\\ this is attributable to habit, to existing software, to who knows what;
\\ but I have heard more than one person describe the Mac (unix) as "brain
\\ dead". Please note that I am tied strongly to the "other" machines, and
\\ have NOT tried anything fancy on the AUX system.

>IBM's propriatary Micto Channel, probably give it an edge over the PCs.
                   ^^^^^\
			 \---this is a typo, right?? :-)
\\ And I note that IBM's Micro Channel will likely be cloned, whereas the
\\ NuBus that Mac has in it is a "slightly modified version" (whatever
\\ THAT means).

>And there are some good CADD packages available for it currently.
\\
\\ _I'd_ say: "What are you REALLY planning to do with it??" The answer
\\ to that question (in terms of desirable software availability NOW) is
\\ the answer to the main question. Future uses are not very quantifiable,
\\ and you are quite likely to find that
\\ 1: An important job for (any other) machine will make that machine
      "cheap at the price" WHEN YOU NEED IT.
\\ 2: Probably there is an acceptable (or better) way to make ANY machine
      do what is needed, at least 75% of the time. (at least 75% as well,
      with no more than 75% more effort, and at X <= 75% added cost...).
\\ 3: If you are a newer==better type, NO machine will do for long. If you are
      (much like I am, I hope :-) a "use it up, wear it out" type, see part 2.

>Tom

>Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab

\\ #include "std.disclaimer"
\\ (I'm still using my apple //e: mostly as a terminal...)
\\ Frank Griswold	Oregon State University CS dept (student)
\\ griswolf@leela.cs.orst.edu

TMURPHY@wpi.BITNET (09/15/88)

>    \----Have YOU tried running UNIX(tm) on the Mac??

I haven't installed it or used it to any extent, but I did play with
it for a bit at an engineering conference.