[comp.sys.apple] free upgrades

dale@pro-colony.UUCP (System Administrator) (09/12/88)

>If not, then why?  Whats the big deal.  Aren't we entitled to the most
>current version of the System Disk for our own apple computer?

Why don't you try that line on your local car dealer when the next new model
of your car comes out.

Don't forget, programmers like to eat too!

Or what about Apple letting you trade your ImageWriter in for a free
ImageWriter II printer?  After all, you bought the ImageWriter in good faith,
shouldn't Apple return that good faith by letting you have the latest of
everything for free?

| uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale                     pro-colony        |
| arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil          (214) 370-7056      |
| proline: dale@pro-colony                            3/12/2400 baud - 24 hrs |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (09/13/88)

If we are going throw around analogies, let me toss one - I see the
system disk as a similar deal as those 'free refills for life' deals at
donut shops etc on coffee - buy the cup once and everytime i bring it in
I get free refills.  It is a deal that the company advertises in the news
papers, tv, etc.  Apple advertises their free software updates - so we should
get them.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (09/16/88)

dale@pro-colony.UUCP (System Administrator) writes:

>>If not, then why?  Whats the big deal.  Aren't we entitled to the most
>>current version of the System Disk for our own apple computer?
>
>Why don't you try that line on your local car dealer when the next new model
>of your car comes out.

Haven't you ever heard of recalls?  Only they don't do that with software;
those are "updates".

>Don't forget, programmers like to eat too!

Being a programmer, I fully understand THAT.  However, us programmers
sometimes have to help out the end-user when it comes to bug fixes on our
part.  Users don't expect that they buy their software on an "as-is" basis,
since it certainly isn't advertised that way.

I'm not saying that every new version should be given to owners of old
versions.  Many new versions are made up of software with a certain threshold
of new features.  Take the MS-DOS like of versions for the IBM PC line, for
instance.  Every time they've come out with a new version, they've added
several new capabilities in addition to fixing numerous bugs in the previous
version.  That's how they can get away with charging for the latest version.

>Or what about Apple letting you trade your ImageWriter in for a free
>ImageWriter II printer?  After all, you bought the ImageWriter in good faith,
>shouldn't Apple return that good faith by letting you have the latest of
>everything for free?

Oops.  I commented on that above.

One final comment... I don't think the $18 fee can really be called a charge
for the OS update.  As I've stated in a previous message, since it's through
APDA, and APDA has their own costs to figure in distribution, advertising,
salaries, etc., I rather think it's a different way of distributing the
update.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com