[net.music] Music, Radio, AM, and sarcasm

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (05/28/84)

{ Yea Greg Skinner }

Yea Greg Skinner! (See above)

This is what amuses the proverbial hell out of me about music snobs.
When it comes to radio, they listen to the college stations that, for
the most part (or at least, that I saw), are "jocks favourite music
radio."  Marvelous if you have the same taste in music.  If you don't...

They always scorn any station that changes format as "wimping out."
But isn't it funny how alot of stations are "wimping out"?  That's
because Top 40 music seems to hit a wider age group and audience then
New Wave, Metal Rock, Punk, or anything else.  And, after all, we are
a capitalist society and money does exist as a common denominator.
The wider the audience, the more money you make.

I think I'll stick with commercial stations.  Pound for pound, they tend
to have their act a bit more together.  I am a bit less at the mercy of
some DJ who "really likes the Fabulous Poodles."

Other comments:

AM may be seeing a rebirth in the next few years as AM Stereo hits.
The AM Stereo market has upsurged tremendously.  The sound quality is
just as good as FM and, for most stations, it's relatively inexpensive.
The problem, lately, has been which transmitter to buy.  There are about
four major brands of AM Stereo modulators on the market, but none of them
work the same.  Thus, you need four different AM Stereo Radios to pick up
the many different kinds.

General Motors, I believe, announced that they would be putting AM Stereo
Radios into their new '85 models.  These would be based on the Motorola
Stereo Modulator.  Sony has announced an AM Stereo walkman that will handle
all four different modulators (it has a foofy little converter).  So don't
remove that AM nob from your stereos, gang.  It may be down, but it's not
out!

Oh, one final thing.  I really enjoy talking about music and radio and
the like.  You know what we need, though, to make it perfect?!  NET.MUSIC.RADIO!
I hate having to wade through these silly articles that don't interest
me just to find the few on radio and music.  My poor 'n' key!
(If this sounds familiar to you...)

--

"I hit it against the body of a varsity cheerleader!" -- Jim Steinman
                                 Peter Merchant

dya@unc-c.UUCP (05/29/84)

     AM might get a rebirth if those idiots who design receivers would use
more than a single chip AM tuner, loopstick antennae, and those DAMN CERAMIC
FILTERS with a 3-4 kc bandpass(!).  I've heard the Sony (we've a 50kw stereo
AM station, WBT, and a 5kw, WSOC-AM) and it can't touch a McKay-Dymek AM-5
for overall fidelity, regardless of the number of channels.

     The average Toyota or Ford AM-only radio can run circles around the stuff
being put in the FINEST home components these days. Jensen made a halfway
decent AM tuner for the car (with an outstanding FM tuner), which prompted
Mike Dorrough (yes, the inventor of that godawful Discriminate Audio Processor)
to praise it up and down while riding in my car back from the transmitter
site of WENZ Richmond (now WNWZ--all news.)

      WENZ's transmitter (Collins 20V3-what a classic!) could hit 30 to 15000
      with EASE.  This was in 1965.  We had specially eq'd phone lines
from studio to transmitter. The only problem was, while radiating this fine
signal, no one could hear it because their damn receivers chopped off all
the high end.

      This isn't a treatise on the design of receivers, but I wonder how many
people who pooh-pooh AM as a transmission medium realise that fully 50% of
a left-only or right-only FM signal comes from a suppressed carrier AM signal?

dya

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (06/02/84)

Any music aimed at the lowest common denominator, that is totally
unoriginal, requires no intelligent interaction on the part of the
listener, and is created by a proven successful formula, is bound to
have a wider audience than any music that makes a valid artistic effort,
because in general most people are just plain stupid.
--
				-Doug Alan
				 mit-eddie!nessus

				"What does 'I' mean"?

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (06/02/84)

Date: Sat, 2-Jun-84 13:06:13 EDT

mit-eddie.UUCP>

mit-eddie!nessus:
> Any music aimed at the lowest common denominator, that is totally
> unoriginal, requires no intelligent interaction on the part of the
> listener, and is created by a proven successful formula, is bound to
> have a wider audience than any music that makes a valid artistic effort,
> because in general most people are just plain stupid.

It is exactly this kind of attitude which I pointed out earlier which
has caused the creation of net.music.classical, etc.  Talking about
intelligent interaction, I must commend Dougie on his intelligent style
of posting by name-calling. :-)

By the way, I haven't looked at the Arbitron ratings lately, so 'BCN may
be back on top again, but as of the winter WHTT was on top.  My
apologies -- I will endeavor to get up-to-date information before
posting.

mea culpa
mea culpa
mea maxima culpa
--
                                                  Let fly the bits!

Greg Skinner (White Gold Wielder)
{decvax!genrad, eagle!mit-vax, whuxle, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds

And he who wields white wild magic gold is a paradox ...