[comp.sys.apple] Upgrading Apple II

jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.COM (Jeff Jungblut) (09/16/88)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: tomk (Tom Kelly)

I am attempting to upgrade my Apple ][ computer.
The case says it is an Apple ][+ but I have my
doubts about that.  It has a Rev. 4 motherboard.
In location A5 it has a 2513 chip rather than a 2316B.
It has 48k of RAM and configuration blocks on the motherboard.
These two things cause me to suspect it may actually be an
Apple ][.  I would like to expand it to 64k.  I installed a
known good 16k RAM card (from an Apple ][+ ) in slot 0.
I removed the chip from E3 and put it on the RAM card.
I plugged the ribbon cable from the RAM card into the E3 socket .
Both ends of the cable were installed properly.  All RAM chips have been
verified to be good.  When I run a test of the memory, the 48k checks
good but the extra 16k checks bad.  If I put the RAM card back in my
other Apple ][+ the extra 16k checks good.  Is there something special I
need to do because I have a REV. 4 motherboard?  I would also like to
get lower case characters.  The problem is I can't just plug in the chip
that is used in my other Apple ][+ (a specially programmed 2716 EPROM)
because the pinout of a 2513 isn't the same as a 2316B and 2716.
How can I get lower case without getting an 80 column card?
If anyone can help me with these problems, I will be very grateful.
I can do the work if someone will tell me what needs to be done.
********** Thanks in advance.    ** Tom **

Tom Kelly (tomk@pro-avalon.cts.com)

drich@bgsuvax.UUCP (Daniel Rich) (09/16/88)

Since I may be one of the last remaining Apple ][/][+ techies still
using my computer :-), I will see if I can answer your questions....
(I will warn you though, this is all from memory, my manuals are back
at my aparment.)

From article <8809152358.AA09359@crash.cts.com>, by jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.COM (Jeff Jungblut):

As long as your computer has Applesoft Basic installed on the
motherboard, it is a ][+.

> It has a Rev. 4 motherboard.
... description of the motherboard ...
> These two things cause me to suspect it may actually be an Apple ][.

It has been a long time since I have seen an Apple with less than a
rev 7.  It sounds like your board is closer to the rev 0 talked about
in the Reference Manual.

> I would like to expand it to 64k.  I installed a
> known good 16k RAM card (from an Apple ][+ ) in slot 0.
... installation and testing description ...
> ...Is there something special I need to do because I have a REV. 4
> motherboard?

I would suggest putting the 16K card into your computer and then
booting with your system master.  If it loads integer basic correctly,
than you have a working card.  You might also want to try any other
programs you have that access the card.  Remember on the ][+, you can
never truly have 64K.  The expansion memory is bank switched into the
same locations as the Applesoft Basic roms.

> I would also like to
> get lower case characters.  The problem is I can't just plug in the chip
> that is used in my other Apple ][+ (a specially programmed 2716 EPROM)
> because the pinout of a 2513 isn't the same as a 2316B and 2716.
> How can I get lower case without getting an 80 column card?

This one is tricky.  My best suggestion (having never dealt with a rev
4 motherboard) would be to find an EPROM with the same pinout as the
2316B.  Then have someone copy your 2716 onto it.

> If anyone can help me with these problems, I will be very grateful.
> I can do the work if someone will tell me what needs to be done.
> ********** Thanks in advance.    ** Tom **
>
> Tom Kelly (tomk@pro-avalon.cts.com)

That sounds like it should do it....(I hope)  Just remember, I have
never dealt with a rev 4 motherboard.  I am assuming that it is more
like a rev 0 then the rev 7 I am used to.

	- Dan Rich	UUCP:	...!osu-cis!bgsuvax!drich
			CSNET:	drich@andy.bgsu.edu
			PHONE: (419) 372-6002

	- Shift to the left!  Shift to the right!  Pop up!  Push down!
			      Byte, Byte, Byte! -

marc@lakesys.UUCP (Marc Rassbach) (09/18/88)

Comment on 2716/9316B replacment.   You will need to add an inverter to the
2716 and jumper two pins, else you WILL fry the ][+.   The pins to mod are:

21 to 24
19 to 24
Correction 18 to the inverter, and you take the input for the buffer from pin
18 on the motherboard.   You don't do anything with pin 19.