[comp.sys.apple] Applefest Report -- Second Hand

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (09/17/88)

Info-Applers may be interested in the following report on Applefest
which I downloaded from the MAUG SIG on Compu$erve

#: 205913 S16/Conventions/Parties
    16-Sep-88  14:10:42
Sb: #AppleFest news
Fm: Larry Miller (Sysop) 76703,1031
To: All

Reporting LIVE! from AppleFest San Francisco......

10:45am PDT

John Sculley just concluded the morning keynote speech from Applefest SF, and
as expected, several product announcements were made.

First of all, Apple announces today the Apple //c Plus.  The //c Plus is an
upgraded //c with the following changes:

     Built-in 800K disk drive (replaces the 5.25" drive)
     Redesigned keyboard      (more closely resembles the IIgs keyboard)
     65C02 processor now runs from 1 to 4 MHz  (4 times faster than //c)
     Built-in power-supply    (no more brick on a leash)
     Redesigned rear panel -- uses mini-DIN8 serial connectors
                              (same as the Mac SE, Mac II, and Apple IIgs)
     Serial ports are built around the 6551 SCC (as in the Mac and IIgs)
     Price of an entry system with color monitor will be under $1000.

Apple also announces today GS/OS, the operating system to tap the power of the
IIgs.  GSOS will be released on System Disk 4.0. Features of GSOS include:

     Faster disk access.
     File tranaslater systems to allow GS/OS to access files written in other
          operating systems such as the High Sierra format of CD ROMs.
     Hard disk partitioning.

Sculley's talk was very encouraging to those who have been disappointed by
Apple's seeming (and real) lack of support for the Apple II line.  For all
those speculating on the fabled IIgs+, Sculley indicated the next CPU
announcement for the Apple II line would be in 12 to 18 months.

Alan H. Stein    Department of Mathematics
The University of Connecticut at Waterbury

Internet: stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
BITNET:   STEIN@UCONNVM
UUCP:    {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe mcvax} !UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
Compu$erve: 71545,1500       Genie:  ah.stein

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (09/18/88)

In article <8809162250.aa13178@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:
>First of all, Apple announces today the Apple //c Plus.  The //c Plus is an
>upgraded //c with the following changes:
>
>     Serial ports are built around the 6551 SCC (as in the Mac and IIgs)

Unfortunately, the IIc Plus serial ports still use the same old ACIA chip.
Interesting choice, since it means that there is still no AppleShare
support for the IIc.

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG
-MECC, Technical Services