[comp.sys.apple] Ymodem-G

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (09/13/88)

I know we have a few people on here who have tendencies to write some nice
terminal programs (Don and Dave mostly)...  I was wondering if either one of
you guys was planning on incorporating Ymodem-G, or some other streaming
protocol in with your next issue of software...  From the sounds of it, Xmodem
4K just didn't take off like expected....Is this a totally bogus statement?!

Kind of curious.,..

Later -Dan Vachon-    !ucbvax!ihnp4!drutx!dvac or !rutgers!moss!drutx!dvac

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (09/13/88)

In article <8663@drutx.ATT.COM> dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) writes:
>I know we have a few people on here who have tendencies to write some nice
>terminal programs (Don and Dave mostly)...  I was wondering if either one of
>you guys was planning on incorporating Ymodem-G, or some other streaming
>protocol in with your next issue of software...  From the sounds of it, Xmodem
>4K just didn't take off like expected....Is this a totally bogus statement?!

At a friend's suggestion, he said forget the xmodem 4K, as it just
won't compete with a real streaming protocol. He also said to really
try to implement Zmodem, which I'll try to do once I get a good amount
of time. "Why didn't you do it this summer?" you ask. Well, I worked
this summer and my job consisted of programming a Mac II. When I got
home, I just wanted to go to sleep. Then the virus trouble started,
and I never got to the big work on Z-Link. Now classes have started,
so any work I do do will be minimal. So, there *will be* Kermit,
Binary II, and maybe even Zmodem at some time, but don't hold your
breath for too long.

David Whitney, MIT '90                   DISCLAIMER: Nobody knows what I'm up
{out there}!harvard!think!whitney         to. Don't blame them for my actions
whitney@think.com                         nor me for theirs.
^^^^^ will be changing before 1989 is here. Don't depend on it after 1/1/89.

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (09/14/88)

At normal modem speeds such as 2400 bps, there is so little gain
in switching to a streaming protocol as to make it a waste of time
to implement.  Do the calculations..

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (09/14/88)

In article <8489@smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> At normal modem speeds such as 2400 bps, there is so little gain
> in switching to a streaming protocol as to make it a waste of time
> to implement.  Do the calculations..

Well, I don't think it is a waste of time when you have a 9600 Baud
modem, huh?  Do the calculations there....

With the USR 9600 HST, there is 9600 baud channel and a 300 baud
channel. the high speed channel is switched to the DCE that has the
most information to send.  So when doing a data transfer, if the 300
baud channel has to be switched to ACK a packet, it saves a lot of
time if the 9600 baud channel can stay with one DCE and just keep
streaming out data....The only place you may incur an error with an HST
is between DCE and DTE, and usually that is a pretty reliable link.

True, it probably doesn't buy you a whole lot with 2400, but a lot of
Apple BBS'ers are getting the USR HST's, and Ymodem or Zmodem would
be a great help in speed of data transfers.

Later -Dan Vachon-   ucbvax!ihnp4!drutx!dvac -or- !rutgers!moss!drutx!dvac

w8sdz@smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (09/15/88)

In article <8489@smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>At normal modem speeds such as 2400 bps, there is so little gain
>in switching to a streaming protocol as to make it a waste of time
>to implement.  Do the calculations..

This is true if you're not using MNP modems.  When you use MNP, the
packetizing causes delays in getting the ACK/NAK from the receiver back
to the sender, thus reducing the throughput.  Streaming protocols like
Ymodem-G and Zmodem do not require ACKs from the receiver, thus
eliminating these delays.
--
Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL

blume@netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) (09/18/88)

-
-true, it probably doesn't buy you a whole lot with 2400, but a lot of
-Apple BBS'ers are getting the USR HST's, and Ymodem or Zmodem would
-be a great help in speed of data transfers.

in fact the manual for the HST says, that the MAXIMUM throughput with
x-modem or kermit is about 400 cps, which is VERY frustrating when you
have equipment that can do 17400 bps....
i want my streaming protocol !!

--
Heiko Blume                    # DOMAIN: blume@netmbx.UUCP { BITNET: ( mixed }
Seekorso 29                    # BANG  : ..!{backbone}!netmbx!blume