[comp.sys.apple] RGB

friedman@athos.rutgers.edu (Gadi ) (09/08/88)

Can someone please explain what the difference is between the RGB
formats used in the following computers.

Apple IIc
Apple IIGS
MAC II
IBM CGA
IBM EGA
IBM VGA
AMIGA

I know that some of these are Digital, some are Analog, some have
9 pins or 12 pins etc.

	Thanks

                  Gadi
--

uucp:   {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss}!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!friedman
arpa:   FRIEDMAN@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU

TMURPHY@wpi.BITNET (09/10/88)

I don't know about all the formats, but know a bit.  The IIc is composite,
not RGB, video.  I don't know about the IIGS or Amiga.  The Mac II is
analog RGB I believe, as is the PC's VGA mode.  CGA and EGA are digital,
but use different scan rates due to resolution.   I have a Mitsubishi
Diamond Scan monitor, which can display any of these formats.  Other
such monitors exist, most notably the NEC Multisync.

Thomas C. Murphy         Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
                              Mechanical Engineering Dept.
BITNET:   TMURPHY@WPI
Arpanet:  tmurphy%wpi.bitnet@talcott.harvard.edu

>I don't know about all the formats, but know a bit.  The IIc is composite,
>not RGB, video.  I don't know about the IIGS or Amiga.  The Mac II is

Whoa - one of the selling points of the //c is the "built in" RGB port
(I've never used it, but I understand it requires some sort of adapter
available from Video-7).  The //c is, in any case, digitial RGB while the
IIgs (and the Amiga I think) is analog.  Common RGB cards for the //e
are digital; I havne't heard of an analog card for the //e (don't even
know if such a thing is possible, but I suppose it is).

>analog RGB I believe, as is the PC's VGA mode.  CGA and EGA are digital,

Yup, PS/2's VGA is definitely analog.

>but use different scan rates due to resolution.   I have a Mitsubishi
>Diamond Scan monitor, which can display any of these formats.  Other
>such monitors exist, most notably the NEC Multisync.

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

>Recently, I was told that the IIc RGP "adapter" from
>the third party is no longer available.  I think that the video out was

Too bad, I wonder if there are any substitutes?

>composite and that this device separated the composite video into
>digital RGB signals for use with such a monitor (all hearsay).  In any

Now that I'm home and can inspect my //c, I have my "Color Monitor //c"
pluged into the composite jack.  Right next to it is a 15 pin "female"
under an icon of a monitor screen with 3 dots in a triangle (signifying
an RGB outlet).  One would suppose that that outlet should produce a
signal appropriate for an existing (what? a monitor ONLY from Apple for
twice the price of everyone elses?) RGB monitor.

Surely someone in our happy band of readers actually has an RGB monitor
connected to a //c and can shed some light on how it's done?

Murph Sewall     Sewall@UCONNVM.BITNET
Business School  sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut {rutgers psuvax1 ucbvax & in Europe - mcvax}
                 !UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL                        [UUCP]

-+- My employer isn't responsible for my mistakes AND vice-versa!

"We have met the enemy and they are us!" Pogo (Walt Kelly)

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (09/10/88)

In article <8809100137.aa15611@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
> a 15 pin "female"
> under an icon of a monitor screen with 3 dots in a triangle (signifying
> an RGB outlet).  One would suppose that that outlet should produce a
> signal appropriate for an existing (what? a monitor ONLY from Apple for
> twice the price of everyone elses?) RGB monitor.

> Surely someone in our happy band of readers actually has an RGB monitor
> connected to a //c and can shed some light on how it's done?

I don't have an RGB monitor on my //c (don't even have a //c), but I may
be able to shed some light.

The following diagram is reproduced without permission from page 250 of
*The Apple //c Reference Manual*:

  8                           1
  o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o

    o   o   o   o   o   o   o
   15                       9

Pin     Signal
---     ------
 1      TEXT
 2      14M
 3      SYNC*
 4      SEGB
 5      1VSOUND
 6      LDPS*
 7      WNDW*
 8      +12V
 9      PRAS*
10      GR
11      SEROUT*
12      NTSC
13      GND
14      VIDD7
15      CREF

Hope this helps

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (09/12/88)

In article <8809091620.aa10755@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>....  Common RGB cards for the //e
>are digital; I havne't heard of an analog card for the //e (don't even
>know if such a thing is possible, but I suppose it is).

This is something I've been wondering about for some time.  I have a Microtek
Rainbo 256, which (I thought) outputs to an analog RGB monitor.  On the other
hand, perhaps the 8-bit format color code given to the card by the program
is just passed thru to the monitor?

I wonder just what the "digital" vs "analog" formats are for these two types
of monitor?  Is the video image itself digitized in the interface to a
digital monitor?

Larry Swift                     UUCP: {peora,uunet}!pdn!larry
Paradyne Corp., LF-207          Phone: (813) 530-8605
P. O. Box 2826
Largo, FL, 34649-9981           She's old and she's creaky, but she holds!

tmetro@LYNX.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (09/19/88)

 Murph Sewall <SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET> writes:
> ...a 15 pin "female" [connector] under an icon of a monitor screen with
> 3 dots in a triangle (signifying an RGB outlet).  One would suppose that
> that outlet should produce a signal appropriate for an existing (what? a
> monitor ONLY from Apple for twice the price of everyone elses?) RGB monitor.

> Surely someone in our happy band of readers actually has an RGB monitor
> connected to a //c and can shed some light on how it's done?

That connector is not an RGB outlet. It is a port that provides the video
information for external adaptors. The most common adaptor being a TV
modulator. I would guess that an RGB adaptor would be possible, but the
latest Apple //c Reference Manual makes no mention of the availability
of either an RGB adaptor or an RGB monitor.

| INET: tmetro@pro-angmar.uucp              --/\/\_| |_| '- DigiTell, Inc. |
| ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-angmar!tmetro@nosc.mil             Newton, MA     |
| UUCP: [ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc]!crash!pnet01!pro%angmar!tmetro                |
|_Alternate: tmetro@lynx.northeastern.edu__________________________________|